Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the trap world (only been shooting shotguns since march) and I was wondering what would be the best way to practice. I competed in my state shoot last weekend and felt that I did terrible (164 of 200) so I would like to know what has worked for some of y'all in regards to training/practice for trap shooting. My goal is to get to at least 92% by the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
82% is far, far from terrible. Sounds like you are off to a good start. First things first - get your gun to fit. If you cannot mount the gun 100 times straight to the same comfortable position, that is pointed exactly where you look, you have got to get that right first. (ok maybe a little extreme, but a comfortable good gun fit is one of the foundations) Lots of reference to help on this site, just search. If you are serious about the game, consider a clinic from a reputable teacher to start you off on the right foot. Best money you will ever spend on trapshooting.
Welcome to ts.com:hello::hello:

K

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
82% is far, far from terrible. Sounds like you are off to a good start. First things first - get your gun to fit. If you cannot mount the gun 100 times straight to the same comfortable position, that is pointed exactly where you look, you have got to get that right first. (ok maybe a little extreme, but a comfortable good gun fit is one of the foundations) Lots of reference to help on this site, just search. If you are serious about the game, consider a clinic from a reputable teacher to start you off on the right foot. Best money you will ever spend on trapshooting.
Welcome to ts.com:hello::hello:

K
On the 82%, is that really not that bad? I was under the impression that anything < 85% is terrible. For the gun fit, I just bought an a300 outlander and was told by my friend who used to coach sporting clays that it looked to fit me well and it feels right to me but that might just be because I was transitioning from an old browning a5 with a broken poly-choke that shot VERY low so just about anything feels better in my hands. And I would love to go to a clinic but I am just a broke college student and cand afford lessons and I kinda live in the middle of no-mans land where the closest range is at least an hour away so there aren't that many coaches around me. I will look into it though.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You must FIRST learn how to properly MOUNT your gun(search previous threads).
You should be able to mount your gun with your eyes closed......then OPEN them
And IF THE BEADS ARE ALIGNED IN A FIGURE 8 (some gap is ok IF THEY
ARE IN LINE).
Mount your gun in front of a mirror AT LEAST 100 times a day.
Take it to a pattern board (more how to info on TS.Com) to find out where it is
Pattering.
The A300 is a hunting gun .....so it Will probably shoot pretty flat to start with.....
which is ok to start with. To make it shoot higher......buy some Mole Skin at the
Drug store and put a layer on the comb.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
There are several books and videos available to help you as well. Most can be found used which will save you some money. YouTube also has lots of info on the subject.

Good luck and welcome to the sport.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do yourself a Hugh favor and purchase Daro Handy’s book and practice is 5 steps to Trap shooting. I did and it improved my handicap scores by 10 points after the 1st year.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi I am new to the trap world (only been shooting shotguns since march) and I was wondering what would be the best way to practice. I competed in my state shoot last weekend and felt that I did terrible (164 of 200) so I would like to know what has worked for some of y'all in regards to training/practice for trap shooting. My goal is to get to at least 92% by the end of the year.
I would find the great trap shooters at your club and ask them to watch and give suggestions I would set a consistent schedule to go out and practice every week or every two weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts