Trapshooters Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The cost of our targets delivered is .15 per target or $3.75 / 25 targets, plus taxes, insurance, power and upkeep on the machines, I just can't see how some clubs are throwing targets for $2.50 which for us that would be at a loss,

·
Registered
74 Posts
So here is the deal, been out of shooting since about 2008. That was the last year I registered targets or shot any practice. Life got in the way. Anyway, bought a gun about a year ago with the intention of starting back up at some point. Fast forward to yesterday...went to the closest club to home. Took a couple shots at a pattern board, raised the comb as high as it would go and stay on the post's and got to within about 4 inches. Used to have the center of my pattern at about 14 inches back in the day. Wait that does not pertain to the intended subject. That being the cost of a round of practice at your clubs now a days. Had to shoot by myself as there was nobody else there. Went out and popped a 21 and a 25 which shocked me as had not shot since 2008 and was shooing a gun I had never fired before. Anyway, went back in to pay up. $10.00 a round. Is that pretty normal now? Seems like I checked the program for the Missouri state shoot and the registered birds were like 39.00 an event plus the fees. Not complaining just asking, what are you paying for a round of practice at your local ranges?
One club near me in central KS is $10, my home club is $5.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Blackjack Sporting Clays, Florida

MEMBERS $.42 / clay / all games + TAX OR $10.50 + $.78 = $11.20 per 25 clays

NON-MEMBERS $.55 / clay / all games OR $13.75 + $1.03 = $14.78 per 25 clays

Couple that with shells you brought along, and would average a buck a target for a non member

Beautiful Sporting and 5 stand facilities, although the Trap and Skeet field leaves a little to be desired.

Rates | Blackjack Sporting Clays (blackjackclays.com)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Seems like most clubs are still trying to gain shooters. I would have expected 5 or 6 dollars a round, possibly even 7. At 10 bucks a round though you can shoot registered birds. I was just curious as to what it is around the country now. I used to be one of those volunteers till the city took back the club and promptly closed it to everyone but police. This club does not even throw registered targets anymore so I doubt I will be back there. Just had to try out a new to me gun and it was the closest place to go. Anyway, thanks for all the replies, you can really get a feel of what it is around the country on here. Take care guys and gals. J.R.

·
Registered
Citori CX 12 Gauge, Rem VersaMax 12 Gauge
32 Posts
So here is the deal, been out of shooting since about 2008. That was the last year I registered targets or shot any practice. Life got in the way. Anyway, bought a gun about a year ago with the intention of starting back up at some point. Fast forward to yesterday...went to the closest club to home. Took a couple shots at a pattern board, raised the comb as high as it would go and stay on the post's and got to within about 4 inches. Used to have the center of my pattern at about 14 inches back in the day. Wait that does not pertain to the intended subject. That being the cost of a round of practice at your clubs now a days. Had to shoot by myself as there was nobody else there. Went out and popped a 21 and a 25 which shocked me as had not shot since 2008 and was shooing a gun I had never fired before. Anyway, went back in to pay up. $10.00 a round. Is that pretty normal now? Seems like I checked the program for the Missouri state shoot and the registered birds were like 39.00 an event plus the fees. Not complaining just asking, what are you paying for a round of practice at your local ranges?
Members $4 and $6 for walk ons. Get ready. White Flyer is already warning people that the cost of materials is going to move the price point up yet again for the next years buy. It won't end as long as.....you fill in the blank....2024?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Our last delivery of 24 pallets of targets cost a little over $2,000 more than last year. We had to raise price from $4.00 member $5 non-member to an additional 50 cents. Had to no way around it. Our club is run by volunteers no paid staff. Another club in our area that has a paid staff charges $7.50 members and $10.50 non-members.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ran the numbers for my private club on what it costs to throw a bird. We shoot league 44 nights a year with 20 teams. Taking all the associated costs of the trap operation - insurance, maintenance, property taxes, propane, electricity and other, the cost comes out to about 24 cents per target thrown, averaged over the 158,000 targets we throw in a calendar year. So breakeven for a practice round comes out at $6. We charge $4 for a round of practice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It was anywhere between 3 and 6 dollars when I stopped. I was just curious as I thought 10 dollars a round sounded pretty high. I didn't ask if they had member and non member prices. Too shocked at the 10 bucks a round lol. I was just comparing it to registered. I went back and looked it up and the MO state shoot targets and tax are 39 bucks a hundred. I would think that 10 a round for practice would put a big kabash on shooting practice lol.
They do have a membership. I think it is $150 a year and I think that puts it at $6 per 25. But you would have to shoot 38 rounds a year there to break even. Better to shoot registered there and count it as practice.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
DrBob57 has it the right way.

Years ago I was the treasure for our all volunteer club and would present the numbers at our monthly meetings, along with projected associated costs for overhead, Electricity, taxes, maintenance, etc.

Although the members didn't like hearing all the costs, they appreciated the fact we never got behind with our meager finances. The ONLY thing we sold to keep going were the targets we threw, sold shells and components at Cost. Every few years we had to up the Trap and Skeet fees a bit (didn't have the Sporting or 5 stand back then) but the members didn't baulk at all.

When we left for the south, rounds of Skeet and Trap were at $3.00, and a Family membership was $25.00 / year with 235 members. Memberships paid the Taxes and Electricity, target fees paid machine maintenance, and loads of targets that were delivered.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One club where I am a member is $6 for members and $7 for guests. The other one is $6 and $9 I think, but as I am old I only pay $4.50.
One of the main reasons is the cost of targets, they are going up every shipment.
I have no idea how any club can charge much less than $5.00 if targets are costing a club $3.75 per round per shooter and you then need to add the cost of electricity, taxes, maintainance. You can charge low costs per round for a while, but one day it will catch up with every club. Somewhere every club needs to have a cushion to cover expenses.
Devonian.
Thanks for your information!
Are the prices you provided at par…quoted dollars or Loonies?
The other thing that was quickly apparent is the difference in cultures. Your club correctly has members and guests. Well done!
Almost all of the clubs in our state have no guests, just “non- members” . That says it all, doesn’t it? We could use a little diplomacy today but many clubs don’t welcome or want new members, strangers or out of area shooters in their little slice of heaven.
What I’m getting at is the price of a practice round definitely has a direct correlation to the club’s directors and management style … or goals to build club membership or limit it.
In the 70’s and early 80’s we ran our club like a business, but with all volunteer help. No director received a salary, perks or freebies for their work contribution. We provided exceptional customer service and a welcoming atmosphere to anyone who walked through our doors. We had a kitchen that served incredible meals at crazy prices. Free coffee of course!
I think our $2 breakfast was the hook for our membership base, long before Costco and their idea for the loss leading $5 chicken to get you in the door. Practice rounds were $2 and $2.25 for “non member’s”. We ran a 50 bird non register shoot on Sundays that would draw an average of 15 squads, as 100 % of the funds collected / charged on top of the price of two practice rounds went back to the shooters. All these things helped us build a huge membership to where we were throwing a million targets a year and selling several million dollars in components a year, including vests, pouches, coats, etc. A box of new shells at our club was cheaper than “WallMart”. There were definitely benefits to being a registered “non profit” organization.
All this for the love of the sport and making practice rounds and shooting affordable for the average person. I don’t think too many clubs could or would even want to try and pull that off today. It’s just too easy to stand behind a counter and say “that’ll be ten bucks”. If they don’t like it, let ‘em go somewhere else.
So, THANK YOU to ALL those clubs and club members who are doing their part trying to provide reasonable prices and keep our sport alive.
And to ALL the other clubs, “good luck”.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts