Trapshooters Forum banner

Do you use the same load for practice that you use for competition?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a shooting thread question than a reloading question/thread. Do you competitors practice with the same loads that you compete with, or use lighter loads to save a bit of money or for other reasons?

I've been using 7/8 oz loads for practice for 16-22 yds, but use 1-1/8 oz for shooting events as I've started to compete. Been thinking of going to a 1 oz load for practice, so there's not that much difference between practice reloads and competition factory loads.

If you use different loads, what is your practice load and competition load?

Multiple votes approved!

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
This is more of a shooting thread question than a reloading question/thread. Do you competitors practice with the same loads that you compete with, or use lighter loads to save a bit of money or for other reasons?

I've been using 7/8 oz loads for practice for 16-22 yds, but use 1-1/8 oz for shooting events as I've started to compete. Been thinking of going to a 1 oz load for practice, so there's not that much difference between practice reloads and competition factory loads.

Multiple votes approved!
No matter which load and shell you choose, I would highly recommend using the same for practice and Competition.
What would be the reason to change?
You wouldn't use a different gun to shoot practice and another to compete.
Best of Luck, with whatever you choose.
MG

·
Keystone Shooter
2,184 Posts
I use Estate 2 3/4 dram 1 0z 1180 FPS 8 shot for practice. I makes me concentrate on centering my shot.
I use Estate 3 dram 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps 8 shot for competition.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I use the same thing for both. I shot 7/8 oz for a while and I thing I got my first 50 straight with it from the 20 yard line (my ATA average) but I can't remember. I love 7/8 oz, very low recoil which kept me focused on the shot. I now only shoot 1oz because I can go all the way back to 25 (my club assigned handicap), not as comfortable as the 7/8 but works.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use different ammo for singles practice than for competition. I use the same for handicap regardless, and use a different shell for the second shot in doubles practice. I don't use premium ammo for practice because of cost but I use premium in every registered event.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
1 1/8oz of 7.5 Rem Mag shot @1,145 for singles & 1 1/8oz of 7.5 Rem @ 1,250 for caps. 1oz of #8 West Coast @ 1,150 first shot doubles & 1 1/8oz of 7.5 Rem Mag @ 1,225 for the 2nd target. All with Green Dot & Down Range wads in Rem STS/Nitro hulls with Winchester primers. If I buy, it's those 100 pack Nitro 27 1 1/8 #7 1/2 at Walmart. (good source of new hulls)

·
Banned
789 Posts
I use different ammo for practice and competition however I try to keep the ballistics similar. At this point in time I shoot Aguila 1250 fps 7.5s in practice and the Win AA Super Hdcp 7.5s @1250 fps for registered birds. I shoot these loads in Sporting Clays. On long targets in practice I again shoot Aguila 1 oz 7.5s @1325 fps, and in registered I am shooting Rem Nitro SC loads 1 oz 7.5s @1350 fps.

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts

Multiple votes approved!
I know people use different shells in practice than they do in competition. But it's never made sense in my mind to use a different bullet in practice and hopefully gaining confidence by using it to only go and change a significant ingredient in performance when it counts.

To me in wouldn't be any different than trying to save wear and tear on your tournament gun by using a Mossberg 500 or similar. You wouldn't practice to win a NASCAR event with your Toyota, would you??

If your practicing for proficiency you would do well to shoot less, use same ingredients and add more focus.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Cheap promo 9/8 ounce 1145 fps loads for 16 yard practice, then my 9/8 ounce 1145 fps reloads with the best shot available (currently STS shot) for singles competition and handicap practice, and premium shells 9/8 ounce 1145 fps for handicap competition.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I shoot hand loads for registered targets mostly. I do occasionally shoot new shell if I'm low on my competition reloads. For 16 and doubles I shoot new shot and for practice I shoot reclaim with same primer and powder charge. I mostly shoot AA's 1 1/8 of 8's 1145 if shoot new.

For Handicap last year I shot 1 oz hand loads mostly and did well with new 8's for registered and shot the same for practice. Occasionally I shot AA 1 oz. 1290 8's when i shot new shells when running low on hand loads.

Last year I had a tough year as I have lost a lot of weight. Had to use smaller shooting vests and had issues with gun fit. If there are any bigger guys out there who are looking for "Big Boy" vests PM me.

PD

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
I use the same payload for both singles and handicap. Both are one oz. loads for me. I"ll use 50 fps faster loads in handicap to compensate for the distance. So my breaks on both are about the same time frame. So its pull, bang, target breaks a second later. This remains the same in handicap as well. If you use the same speed shell for both there will be a longer delay before the target breaks. The longer delay can effect your thinking with a longer break time. Of course, some shooters may not notice the extra delay? Until now anyway. LOL. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gun Clubs for practice (save the hulls for reloading)
Top Guns /Estate SS / Fiocchi / B&P for monthly registered shoots
AA/STS for Grands and state championships

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perfect practice to practice perfection.
Practice as if it were competition.
Anything less isn’t practice.
Shoot the same.
I appreciate your concise memorable words. I'm just beginning to compete in registered shoots this year. At 68 I don't have much time to waste! I will strongly consider your advice.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use 1oz 7.5 @ 1200 fps for both practice and competition. I occasionally use 1 1/8 if I didn't bring enough 1oz. Poor planning on my part. IMO, no sense in making things complicated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go ahead and change any thing that you think will give you an edge. Truth be told, the real difference is where you point the gun. Good points break targets, bad points miss, period.

Maddad

1 - 20 of 41 Posts