Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Promo powder for reloading, but find it leaves much residue. Does any one have recommendations to switch to? 700x maybe?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been using Promo powder for reloading, but find it leaves much residue. Does any one have recommendations to switch to? 700x maybe?
You could be a bit more specific about your current load. There are many knowledgable people on here that may be able to help. Sometimes a simple wad change can get you into the pressure range where Promo burns cleanly. I load 1 oz Skeet loads with Winchester wads, and have no issues with a clean burn.

·
Sky Buster
3,962 Posts
You could be a bit more specific about your current load. There are many knowledgable people on here that may be able to help. Sometimes a simple wad change can get you into the pressure range where Promo burns cleanly. I load 1 oz Skeet loads with Winchester wads, and have no issues with a clean burn.
In the past, I have used Red Dot, 700X and Clay's. All performed well but
did not meter well. I would get .02 to.03 variations up and down. I
switched to WW Super Target which is a ball powder. It is usually dead
on but never varies more than .01 grain up or down.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I formerly used Red Dot and Promo, but they were hard to find the past few years. I switched to 700x because the powder was easy to purchase. You can usually find 700x at powder valley. I wouldn't worry about the powder residue. You should clean your gun after shooting at the gun range.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
It has been my experience that powders have a "sweet spot" for leaving less residue. I find that 1 1/8 oz loads with about 17 gr of Promo burn fairly clean while with 16grs leave more residue. My handicap loads of 17.7 grs of 700x also leave little residue.

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
More pressure gives less residue. Tell us what load you are using and what you think its pressure profile is. My bet the pressure is on the low side.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I just recently made the switch from Promo to 700x( I have used 700x in the past) and just bumped up one mec bushing.
xr 400r, 700x is faster than promo and takes less powder to generate similar velocities and pressures. Recommend you check published loading data and weigh your loads.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use 1 oz (0.92 actually) with figure 8 wads from Gamielli's. Those may laugh at the high residue I mentioned but it is simply unburned/wasted powder. The Solo 1000 was much cleaner and therefore must be more efficient. Insufficient pressure could be another issue.

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
xr 400r, 700x is faster than promo and takes less powder to generate similar velocities and pressures. Recommend you check published loading data and weigh your loads.
Where are you getting this from? Which burn rate chart? The Hodgdon chart shows Red Dot and 700x as having almost the same burn rate and Red Dot and Promo have the same burn rate. The Hodgdon chart shows 700X as a bit slower than Red Dot but the charts don't tell you how much slower or faster one powder is than another. The chief difference between Promo and 700X will be density, not burn speed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts