Trapshooters Forum banner

Powders for 9mm

6K views 42 replies 41 participants last post by  Roadking100 
#1 ·
I had no need to reload any 9mm for a while due to the large amount of factory ammo on hand,but now I have a nice supply of brass, primers and 115gr fmj bullets. As I have not purchased powder for some time, are there new powders available that work well with the components I have ? I only shoot paper and steel targets so I am looking for powder for plinking or factory duplication. Thanks, Lawson Rupert.

#11 ·
Do you compete? If you just shoot for fun, lots of powders will work just fine. You may have plenty on hand. Trap powders can be great for pistol. Look in any manual and pick a low pressure starting load. If your pistol functions with it, shoot it like you stole it.

#14 ·
Win 231 is the standard and meters perfectly on a progressive. In a pinch 700X will do you well too.

My manuals show a ton of different powders. You probably have some on hand if you are a shotgun loader.

Good luck and all the best.

#17 ·
I have used AA#7 and liked it a lot. After I had a hard time getting it I switched to Win231 and I'm really liking it too. I have used Tightgroup and it worked well. The nice thing about TG is that a little goes a long ways so it's cheap to reload with it.

#27 ·
Any of Alliant's fast shotgun powders from Bullseye to Unique (except Extra-Lite) can be used for plinking loads. I prefer e3. Use slower powders for factory or beyond loads. CFE works well. Essentially it is WAC with a copper fouling remover added. Silhouette is very slightly slower than WAC, and cleaned. HS-6 is dirty. If you are looking for a really hot load use VV 3N38 under a 147 XTP for 1200 fps out of a 4" barrel with standard pressures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.