Powders for 9mm | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powders for 9mm

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by PARebel, Jun 17, 2020.

1. PARebel

PARebel Member

I had no need to reload any 9mm for a while due to the large amount of factory ammo on hand,but now I have a nice supply of brass, primers and 115gr fmj bullets. As I have not purchased powder for some time, are there new powders available that work well with the components I have ? I only shoot paper and steel targets so I am looking for powder for plinking or factory duplication. Thanks, Lawson Rupert.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

W231 works well, fairly small charge so it goes a long way...

dws and Leo thanked this.
  3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

What do you already own for loading shotshells with? Chances are you already have something that'll work.

4. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Titegroup.

WesleyB and Leo thanked this.
  5. longshotbml

longshotbml Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

For target and plinking 231. For ball or to duplicate defensive ammunition for practice Longshot.

6. JohnTrigger

JohnTrigger TS Member

Reloaded 115 grn plinking 9mm 25 years ago. Used Win 231 back then. Then I had kids...

WesleyB thanked this.
  7. 460Ford

460Ford Well-Known Member

Give Power Pistol a look

Leo thanked this.
  8. BryanF

BryanF Well-Known Member

AA#5 works well

Leo thanked this.
  9. rapid86

rapid86 Well-Known Member

9mm was the first cartridge I ever reloaded 41 years ago, used 700X. Now I use WW540, which is obsolete but I still have some. I THINK (best check) 540 is the same as Hodgdon's HS-6.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    trappermike thanked this.
  10. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Unique works well for 9X19 as well as many other handgun and shot shell reloads.

dirt stirrer, Leo and 460Ford thanked this.
  11. JD45

JD45 Member

Do you compete? If you just shoot for fun, lots of powders will work just fine. You may have plenty on hand. Trap powders can be great for pistol. Look in any manual and pick a low pressure starting load. If your pistol functions with it, shoot it like you stole it.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

WW231, Hodgdons Titegroup, and AA#5 have all done a good job in 9mm ammo for decades. Unique works but my powder measure does not like to meter it very well.

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Bullseye!

dirt stirrer thanked this.
  14. jwsmith1959

jwsmith1959 Active Member

Win 231 is the standard and meters perfectly on a progressive. In a pinch 700X will do you well too.

My manuals show a ton of different powders. You probably have some on hand if you are a shotgun loader.

Good luck and all the best.

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hodgdon HS-6. Excellent in the 9mm.

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster

I shoot a ton of 9mm in competition and found Tite Group performs
    the best in terms of accuracy and standard deviation.

Leo and BDOG22 thanked this.
  17. sharptailhunter

sharptailhunter Active Member

I have used AA#7 and liked it a lot. After I had a hard time getting it I switched to Win231 and I'm really liking it too. I have used Tightgroup and it worked well. The nice thing about TG is that a little goes a long ways so it's cheap to reload with it.

Leo thanked this.
  18. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

I reload a lot of cast and coated 122 to 125 grain bullets. Have tried many of powders mentioned all good recommendations. My gun shoots tite group a little more accurately than the other choices. Bottom line pick the powder your gun likes the best and have fun! Ron

19. BDOG22

BDOG22 Well-Known Member

I tend to use 700 and Clays.. I buy both in bulk for shotshell reloading, so to redirect some to 9MM makes sense for me..

20. woodperson

woodperson Active Member

I use HP 38 (win 231) or Tightgroup. Both seem to work well. I am shooting in a revolver so it is not pickey about function.

Leo thanked this.