Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
CZ redhead premier target
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to start reloading again after 30 years. Was hoping for some good “recipes “ I shoot a 12 gauge and with be used many for sporting clays.
Thank you for the information

DW Parlett

·
Premium Member
11,994 Posts
Pick a powder you want to use, then go on-line to that company's web site.

They typically have recipes for pretty much any shell/wad/load weight combination you can imagine.

Reactions: 17DwParlett

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
Welcome DW!!

Find you a good reloading book! Preferably a bunch. There are thousands of configurations, SO the best start is to find out what component YOU have available to purchase.

Everyone has their likes, I find Green Dot and 700X fit all my needs, but that is just me and my local stores.

Stick to the loading manuals and you'll find what works for you.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My club throws thousands of Gun Club hulls away so that I cannot save any more. Pick your hull, then look at the powder guys web pages for loads. You might check back here to confirm you picked a good load, though, as some loads are just a bear to assemble. Safe, yes, but hard to assemble. I like Alliant powders, and Red Dot and PROMO are high on my 12 ga list.
Reload info:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Are you going to shoot 1 1/8oz or less? Some powders are "more economical" and burn cleaner based on the shot weight. I use 7/8oz mostly so I use Alliant Extra Light. Its good for 1 oz too. Really burns clean.
If you are using 1/8oz mostly, hard to go wrong with 700x or Red Dot, even Green Dot. Plus lots of others....
Promo is "Red Dot" generic, really maybe costing the least per shot. Hodgdon Clays is popular, man the suggestions could go on and on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have decided to start reloading again after 30 years. Was hoping for some good “recipes “ I shoot a 12 gauge and with be used many for sporting clays.

DW Parlett
You have to get a scale! It’s going to be the most important piece of loading equipment you can buy...powder, what’s good? 700x( stays consistent in in all temperatures..E3 same thing,
red dot...pretty good,...promo....very good powder for the price....clays,....pretty good for the price....get their recipes on line...start at the lowest and work from there...good luck and please be conservative to start off with 😊👍

·
Registered
638 Posts
You picked a tough time to start back into reloading. First thing is see what you can source locally and economically.
Primers: Choose W209 first then settle for what you can get. Primers can be tough to find right now.
Pick three or four powders and see what can be found local: Clays, International Clays, 700X, Red Dot, Green Dot are all good selections.
Hulls are easy to find if you are going for Gun Clubs or Top Guns.
Once you have primers selected and one or two powders, along with a stash of hulls we can point you in the right direction.
Due to components being tough to find in certain areas of the country, find out what is available and we will do our best to give you a solid combination.
Good Luck Shoot well.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I use TiteGroup and it seems a little goes a long ways. 17 gr for an all around 1 1/8 oz load and 18.4 gr for a heavy 1 1/8 oz handicap load.

Use brass based hulls and a tight choke and you can probably use any powder you want and get good results. I use Win AA/Silver bullets or Remington STS/Nitro with a Win 209 primer and Claybusters version of 1oz TGT wad with 1 1/8oz of 7.5s.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Remington hull, CB1100 wad, 17.2 gr claydot, and 1 oz shot. AND a good primer. Very easy on the shoulder but serious on the target.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Many gun shops offer free reloading manuals provided by powder co. Alliant Hodgdon etc.A scale is a must.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

DW Parlett
I load 10z of 7.5 shot with Red Dot and Mec 10z wads I load AA's

·
Registered
783 Posts
No but back in the day I remember using Red Dot.
I came back to reloading after 25 years off too.
Much has changed with a lot more selection available.
The AACF hull that everyone reloaded back then is no more.
But Red Dot is still a standard go to for 12 ga. target loads.
And Remington hulls are virtually a drop in replacement for the AACF hull.

·
Registered
CZ redhead premier target
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My club throws thousands of Gun Club hulls away so that I cannot save any more. Pick your hull, then look at the powder guys web pages for loads. You might check back here to confirm you picked a good load, though, as some loads are just a bear to assemble. Safe, yes, but hard to assemble. I like Alliant powders, and Red Dot and PROMO are high on my 12 ga list.
Reload info:
I came back to reloading after 25 years off too.
Much has changed with a lot more selection available.
The AACF hull that everyone reloaded back then is no more.
But Red Dot is still a standard go to for 12 ga. target loads.
And Remington hulls are virtually a drop in replacement for the AACF hull.
Good to know about the Remington hulls.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
If you decide to go with Red Dot, don't use a Rem hull. The Alliant data will steer you in the direction of a Rem primer, which is uber-expensive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts