Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get some promo powder and have no experience with it, will be loading 1 1/8 around 1200fps loads AA and STS any info good or bad on it, Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yopu have to weigh the charge as it is denser than red dot. Start with red dot recipe minus 1 grain for your bushing and you will be very close.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is a good powder. I have considered using it for everything, but have not done so. Now with the shortage of all powders I have the option of about 4 different powder I can choose. I always look for these powder when I am shooting at bigger shoots. Have built up a reserve and should get through this next year and hopefully one more year.
Long answer but have been really disgusted with all this shortage mess. If you can get Promo buy it. It has a lot of versitillity from singles to 27yd hdcp.

Darwin

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Promo is a blend of powders that did not make the specific burning rate. Each lot is different. The bushing for one lot may not work exactly the same as another lot.

Ajax

·
Registered
557 Posts
I havent seen that much variance Ajax. But each keg said be measured . The variance ive seen is plus or minus .1 to .2 grns. Hes using a mec a 28 bushing usually drops around 17.2. Suggested a 29 to get him up to the fps he wants. Hell they are cheap get a 30 as well. The 17.2 using a 28 is all I needed but I shoot 1oz loads.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm not the OP but bought 8 lbs of promo . I use Winchester hulls and Down range wads usually ...but I can't find any data for 1 oz. loads with promo.

What gives? It has 7/8's and 1 1/8 load data...but skips 1 oz???

Thanks...Stan

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Stan,

I would guess that the reloaders that squawked the most that there is no data for Promo may have been the ones that reload 7/8 and 1 1/8 oz.

Promo loads like Red Dot by weight!!! Use the Red Dot recipes!!!

If you look at the 7/8 oz and 1 1/8 oz Promo loads and Red Dot loads they are the same.

Jason

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Jason...you are right.

I was looking for some 1 oz. reload data....and just wondering why they went from 7/8's to 1 1/8 0z. on the data they provide? I thought that was a little strange that they jumped over the 1 oz....???

Thanks for the tip to use Red Dot specs...I didn't know that. I haven't ised Promo before but that was all that was available...at Gene Sears where I buy my powder.

As it happens though...something happened to my order and I didn't get the Promo after all (or anything else).

Guess I'm going to have to buy something in 1 lbs. lots locally, at twice the price...bummer!

Thanks...Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts