Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Also, on the demand side, people buying what ever they can get and as much as they can afford. Reading reloadera braging about finding the last 4 kegs Y powder and buying them all because he could not find the X powder he wanted.

Jason

·
Registered
714 Posts
Oh, and no component bullets, pistol or rifle, I have 270 150gr partitions on back order for 2 months, as well as 140gr 6.5 hornadys, just naming a few of my hunting rifles. And 45 auto 230 gr hollow points. On shot shell doesn't matter though, there are no w209 primers that I use. I guess their dryer broke too. Bob

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
A lot of lame excuses for over a year. First it was Primers, then lead, and tossed in was the powder issue.

For some reason, I smell something fishy with the whole thing. There were a whole of of re-loading folks when I got into the game, and I never remember such a shortage as this.

Suppliers tell us they have no idea when certain supplies will be back on line. Interesting that they don't have information any better than we do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also find it hard to believe that all the shortages are from the high demand after all shooting is down. Are people just buying and sitting on it? Maybe but I know some people that work for Federal and they are running at MAX and cant keep up and they have NO shortages of materials to work with so are they getting all powder, bullets and shot? Is this a world wide problem or just a problem here in the USA? Can someone answer that question?
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Funclays, I would be interested in hearing from our Canadian and Aussie friends about powders they can find....

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
We have a new multi-purpose range in our area. Since opening they have averaged 360 shooters a month. We shot trap there yesterday and had about 8 shooters. The rifle and pistol lanes were busy all day. Seem to be a lot more women shooting.

Shotgunning is down. It appears rifle and handguns are up.

Ajax

·
Registered
8 Posts
I shoot at a few small clubs in southern interior of British Columbia and, where I live, reloading components and shells have been in very short supply for ages. Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire and Wholesale Sports all have little or nothing and home based retailers are in the same boat. Story is U.S. suppliers don't have the stock. When stuff does show up selection is non-existent and prices sky high. I recently heard shot was selling...or not...in the Victoria area for $73.00 a bag!! Recent calls to suppliers in eastern Canada indicate things aren't much better there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it all stems to Hodgdon's fire back in June or July. People that bought Hodgdon bought X. Then people that bought X saw more people buying X so they bought more X. Pistol and shotgun have a number of interchangeable powders so that's another dimension in the mix.

I can't blame them the slightest bit. If I saw 2-3 kegs with the same lot number I'd buy them now. If you have the money and the passion, why not. Then you have it.

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
The companies are running at max but the supply is intended to be low for the civilian side. It will keep getting more scarce as time goes on. Biggest share of the supply is continually headed to foreign countries.
War is a big business if it can be managed like oil. Have all the guns you want nut no amo means their worthless. NATO is going to make sure us citizen have no ammo . If shooters can't figure it out by now then its best leave the country you'v already pissed the best times of your life away. Bill

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
If I cut down a bit on shooting and buy what I need when it is available, I can make do. I've discovered some decent powders I never considered before. The prices are higher, but most of the regular items come around on occasion. Not all Alliant powder is affected by the shortages. Like Hodgdon and other companies, some of their powders are made overseas, or by another manufacturer and relabeled for them. Primers are spotty, but can usually be found in time.

Some powders are also identical to others in some cases. Powder companies that have more than one brand label will do this. If you have a question regarding this, call the powder company and ask. You might not find the powder you are looking for, but the identical powder might be available under a different brand.

Unfortunately, like many others, I end up buying a years supply, rather than three or four months worth. I'm sure that is what is causing the uptick in demand. I buy a larger amount of primers, rather than the few hundred or thousand I need at the moment. I might buy a jug of powder or a pound or two extra so I can at least keep loading and shooting without having to search for components. Same for shot and bullets. Instead of 50 or 100 bullets, I might buy the bulk pack, or a few extra of the smaller ones. I avoid some of the lot to lot variations that way and have time to look for more when the box is getting light.

I refuse to buy rimfire at the outrageous prices some people are asking. I have enough for the next year or so, and there is "Normal" priced ammo available from time to time. You just have to look for it and buy when you see it, IF you need it.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
b12, care to fill us in on the details of this mischief. Is Obama cleaning the shelves and hiding it in the basement of the Whitehouse?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I think you're on to something Ruben Sandwich. One brand not available so everyone switches brands and puts too much demand on regular production of that brand. Along with the fears of buyers given the current politicial situation. I wonder how much this disruption in production down under at ADI has hurt Hodgdon's future business. I know when I get used to something, I don't like to change. Anyone have any idea when we can expect to see some more Clays?

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Checked ALL of the the major suppliers on line today. NO shotgun powder ANYWHERE in bulk. A cople had 1 lb. bottles but a limit of 2 !! Put the hazmat fee to that and it's outlandish in cost!! I will continue to search for powder,but, things are NOT looking good now!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts