Powder/wad recommendation for Rem hulls | Trap Shooters Forum

Powder/wad recommendation for Rem hulls

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sharptailhunter, Jul 24, 2020.

1. sharptailhunter

sharptailhunter Active Member

I just acquired a good amount of both Nitro27 and STS hulls, along with quite a few Gun Clubs. Traditionally I’ve reloaded AA hulls but I’m down to my last bit of them as they have all split or won’t hold a good crimp anymore.

Locally I really can only find Win209 primers. Occasionally I will see a few Federal’s or CCI but it’s mostly just Win209 that are available. For powder I’ve been using Red Dot and for wads Claybusters is what I can find locally but I could order whatever online, hopefully.

According to Alliant’s website there’s really just one recipe using Rem hull, Win209 primer, and Red Dot. It’s a faster velocity than what I’m used to shooting so I don’t know how much I’d like it.

As such, I’m curious to see what others have enjoyed using in Remington hulls?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What weight? 7/8, 1, or 1-1/8 ounce?

What muzzle velocity are you looking for?

3. Dulcmrman

Dulcmrman Active Member

I am a recreational trap shooter and shoot most Sundays after church with my buddies. We are there as much for the social interaction as the shooting, so we shoot no registered targets and shoot only from the 16 yard line. I reload Remington STS exclusively using a 3/4 ounce load of #8 shot and about 15 grains of Alliant Extra-Lite (I'm a recoil wuss) and this load crushes the bird when I do my part.

Here's a link to the Claybuster site for their CB0175-12 wad and various loads.

CB0175-12 Load Data

I was using this load with Red Dot, but the Extra-Lite burns just a bit cleaner with these light loads and low pressures.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

4. sharptailhunter

Doh! I forgot to mention that. I like 1oz of shot and I’m used to shooting 1145-1200 FPS loads.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My singles load of choice:

Remington hulls
    Winchester primers
    Downrange DRRT12 wad (Remington TGT-12s clone)
    1 ounce of shot
    15.5 - 16 grains of Hodgdon Clays

The reason the powder charge looks low (if you look at the data tables) is that I have pressure test gun / inductive chronograph, and have found through testing that the current manufacture Clays powder is hotter than what the data tables indicate. So these lower powder charges result in muzzle velocities around what you are looking for.

t jordan, waverider, radeck and 1 other person thanked this.
  6. sharptailhunter

Thank you Tim. I just got done reading the posts about the tests that MG had done on his Clays loads. It’s really interesting that their published data doesn’t reflect what secondary sources (you and others) are seeing. I’m pretty sure I can get Clays powder from my local trap club so I appreciate your help!

7. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

You're running into the age old problem of the dearth of data published by Alliant for loads using Win primers in Rem hulls (the same problem exists for using Rem primers in Win hulls). If you were to consider changing powder from Red Dot to a powder made by someone other than Alliant, you would find much more data using those two components. You might also find the data you are looking for in Lyman's #5.

timb99 and sharptailhunter thanked this.
  8. 2500 HD

2500 HD Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Rem hull
    Win 209 primer
    18.2 red dot
    1.125 oz of hard 8’s
    DR orange 8 pedal wad
    Targets turn to soot.

fast gun thanked this.
  9. sharptailhunter

While Red Dot has worked well for me in the past, I’m very open to trying something new.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm partial to Hodgdon (and Winchester and IMR) products because Chris Hodgdon is a friend of mine. I'm also partial to Downrange wads because Kevin Lewis is a friend of mine.

I may not be totally unbiased here...

Garyd and HymieP thanked this.
  11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Just skip all the folderol and put your ;favorite AA load in those Remmy hulls. Use any primer but Remington.
    My experience is that I switch back and forth and never even change any loader adjustments.

HM

entropy thanked this.
  12. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Then, my suggestion would be to look at IMR Red.

13. clayshtr

clayshtr Active Member

Rem hull
    Win 209 primer
    17.8 gr. Red dot
    DRRF8 wad
    Lawrence shot

14. lt0026

lt0026 Well-Known Member

For years I shot 18 grains of RD,CB1100 wad, 1 oz of shot and Win 209 primer from Rem hulls. 1200 fps and good on any trap or sporting target. I have now turned to 17.5 grains of 700X with all the same components for 1235 fps.

15. Broncofan

Broncofan Well-Known Member

Rem or AACF Hulls
    Win 209
    CB1100 wad
    1 oz shot
    17 gr of 700X
    1200 fps (by the chart, have never tested)

JStout and entropy thanked this.
  16. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Well, now, I went and looked up the definition of "folderol" and I think anyone who has their post called that would take offense. I will add, the substance of your post is utter "folderol."

sharptailhunter thanked this.
  17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

folderol as referenced is all the anal nit picking on minute inconsequential differences. It goes on here to a much greater degree than necessary.

Don't get all butthurt if you didn't get it.

HM

18. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

The definition I saw said it means "nonsense." That is the definition I used.

19. entropy

entropy Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

I've been loading STS and Nitros with 19 gr. Green Dot, Win. 209's (always!) DRRF8 wad or DRXL 1 1/8 wad, 1 1/8 Lawrence shot . WAA-12 works with this load, too. Don't have a chrono, but the data says 1200. They work well at the 16, 27, and beyond.
    I have loaded the same load, with WAA-12 wads in AACF hulls, also.
    I'm partial to all those because they work. I do still like Green Dot, though.

t jordan, timb99, mg1polo and 1 other person thanked this.
  20. tj303

tj303 Active Member

“I'm partial to Hodgdon (and Winchester and IMR) products because Chris Hodgdon is a friend of mine.” Timb99

Since he is your friend could you please ask him why the data from Hodgdon for Clays is wrong? (According to your testing and others). And will they ever retest and publish correct data. Nobody uses LUP anymore.

TJ303