Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong I like Powder Valley but their recent email is false advertising. They are having a powder sale and claim the 1# bottles of Clays is cheaper than an 8# keg. That would be true if there were a pound in a 14 oz bottle, but we all know a pound is 16 oz. If my math is correct, the 8# is still cheaper per oz than the 14 oz bottles on sale. If you only need a 14 oz bottle, it's a deal!

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Clever marketing scheme. I have bought lots of powder from them over the years.

After "retiring" I took a job at a retail business. We sell oil. Lots and lots of brands, weights and types of oil in quarts, gallons, 5 quart jugs, 2.5 gallon jugs and 5 gallon pails. Often times the larger containers go "on sale". I being the person I am, figure up the price per quart and often it is quite a bit cheaper to buy the quart bottles, or a gallon over the larger containers. I guess you are paying extra for having fewer containers. Personally I like money more than my desire to have 2 bottles instead of 8. People don't check price per unit anymore. Most of them can't do math, so retailers play into that downfall of society. My dad taught me 40+ years ago to do that at the grocery store, and I still do it with many items.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Don't get me wrong I like Powder Valley but their recent email is false advertising. They are having a powder sale and claim the 1# bottles of Clays is cheaper than an 8# keg. That would be true if there were a pound in a 14 oz bottle, but we all know a pound is 16 oz. If my math is correct, the 8# is still cheaper per oz than the 14 oz bottles on sale. If you only need a 14 oz bottle, it's a deal!
The grocery store has took this marketing to new levels. All new packaging, higher prices to boot on many products.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Remember if you ask an accountant what 2+2 is, there response is “What do you want it to be!!!” I was looking at floor tile at one of the Big box stores. The tile we liked was on sale that ended on a Saturday, so I asked when the 11% rebate was coming back. Worker said this Sunday it starts again. I said we will wait til then. Of course he said why the flooring is on sale right now. Because I ran the numbers at it was a better deal with the 11%. His jaw dropped.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Clever marketing scheme. I have bought lots of powder from them over the years.

After "retiring" I took a job at a retail business. We sell oil. Lots and lots of brands, weights and types of oil in quarts, gallons, 5 quart jugs, 2.5 gallon jugs and 5 gallon pails. Often times the larger containers go "on sale". I being the person I am, figure up the price per quart and often it is quite a bit cheaper to buy the quart bottles, or a gallon over the larger containers. I guess you are paying extra for having fewer containers. Personally I like money more than my desire to have 2 bottles instead of 8. People don't check price per unit anymore. Most of them can't do math, so retailers play into that downfall of society. My dad taught me 40+ years ago to do that at the grocery store, and I still do it with many items.
But all the farmers value those 5 gallon buckets to store all their used oil and other stuff sitting around the side of the shed walls.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
How much coffee is in a three pound can? Deceptive packaging and marketing is a bigger money maker than the products. I hate that.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
FWIW, the 14 oz bottle is in use by both IMR and Hodgdon. Alliant is still using one pounders. Yes, shrink the burger, keep the same price.

The less fortunate among us should use a calculator in the grocery store.

HM

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Likely the person writing the ad has no clue about powder. With that said, these guys had powder during the Obama Gold Rush when you could not find anything gun related. Kept me shooting, and some of the less popular powder they had in stock at the time turned out to be great stuff. For instance, Herco when Unique was unavailable for the 20 ga tube gun, 800X for 28, Titewad, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts