Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just starting reloading. Could anyone recommend a good scale that is accurate, reliable and a good value?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

·
Registered
687 Posts
Go with an electronic one, midway shooters supply has them from $20.00 up. I used a balance beam type one for years but they are so slow. I love mine I think I paid around $25.00 it is a hornady. You will hear you need to check the cheaper ones with a beam type, that is probably good advice however mine has been perfect for about five years and counting. Good luck and welcome to the game.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
<blockquote><I>"You will hear you need to check the cheaper ones with a beam type..."</I></blockquote>Yup...if your digiscale costs under $500 you're gonna want to keep a beam balance handy to check it with. So why not just buy a decent beam balance and use it instead; no need to keep checking it because gravity hasn't changed in about a zillion years. And if you're that desperate to save the 10 second difference in speed between the two scales, maybe ya just ought to buy your ammo because you're in way too much of a hurry to be a careful reloader.

Keller

·
Registered
204 Posts
An electronic scale is great for doing spot checking and a BUNCH faster than a beam. I use a beam for rifle loading and a cheap PACT electronic for pretty much EVERYTHING else. Try sorting bullets using a beam scale. You'll pull your hair out!!! A electronic scale is plenty accurate for anything you'll ever load in a shotgun shell!

http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=59

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I like my digital RCBS, been using it for the better part of 5 years! Cost me around $100 as I recall, and sits nicely next to my used PW 800+. I like to weigh 1 shell in each box of 25, so you can imagine I am not a big fast production reloader, just one pull at a time on wintery Sunday afternoons.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Pact scales are a POS. Ballistic products sell a cheap electronic scale for $25 that's better. Get some good check weight just to make sure.

T

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I don't understand the Pact bashing. Mine has worked flawlessly for several years.

Go electronic with check weights.

Any major brand name model will serve you well.

Guy Babin

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Pact is a great company.

Every time my digi-scales went haywire they fixed them for free. I just had to buy'em a ticket to Texas.

I have a pair of Pact scales in a box somewhere that have more frequent flyer miles than I do!

Keller

·
Registered
808 Posts
3220, consider yourself commended for asking about a scale to start with. So many on here all they want to know what bushing to drop this or that powder right of the bat. The scale is a key to safety.

Starting out I would go with the RCBS 10-10 like others here have suggested. I believe Ohaus still makes these. The 5-0-5 is okay if you are on a budget but the 10-10 features magnetic dampening that gets you a quicker zero.

Digital is a step up in speed but you have to be sure to calibrate them, they are affected by the slightest draft, so you mouth-breathers beware.

I use an old Dillon digital with the lifetime warranty, sadly the ones they sell are made in China now and the warranty is short. Still good scales though.

I had a PACT BBK for my first digital. Good company, they made digitals for RCBS for a while. The BBK I had was a crappy scale. It went to Texas so often I thought about getting it a cowboy hat. The newer BBK II looks good but I would ask around.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello All,

Thanks so much for the input. You are an incredible source of information. This beginner appreciates sincerely!

Fred

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I will never own another digital scale...

I bought both ..digital first. It wasn't an expensive one (Cabellas). It was often out of calibration...and was a pain to calibrate quickly. Finally got to a point that I just didn't trust it at all.

I then bought a beam scale and ended all the issues. They are much more trust worthy in my limited experience (2 years). Simplier to use and less expensive doesn't hurt either (as a rule).

That's my take, but opinions vary...as always.

Stan

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
My first scale was a Hornady beam scale which I still use for shotgun reloading and checking my RCBS 1500 Chargemaster scale and dispenser. The 1500 is accuarate to .1 of a gr but I still check it often. I also have a RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale I've never used..

For the most consistent accuracy I trust the Hornady beam scale the most.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a Lyman-Ohaus D-5 that I bought in 1966 for $11.55. I've used it ever since for pistol, rifle, shotgun, and matching arrows for archery. I've though about replacing it but neer have.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.