Trapshooters Forum banner

Powder Recommendations for light 20 gauge loads

19K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Claypoppy 
#1 ·
I’m hoping to find a powder that will deliver a 7/8 oz load at ~ 1150 - 1175 fps in either AA or Gun Club hulls. My old standby, Longshot doesn’t have data for that slow of a load. I’ve checked several other powders and found a few recipes @1200 but would like a bit slower if possible.

Any suggestions?

#15 ·
I was re-reading this thread because I sometimes load 3/4 0z. shells with Green Dot. The pressure developed by AA hulls is less than 10,000 psi for 1,200 fps, lower than several light loads. So what is the issue with using GD with sub-gauge tubes (which I occasionally do)?

#6 ·
#11 ·
If you are looking for soft recoil, consider using less shot. Claybuster 1075-20 wads and Gun Club hulls work just fine with 3/4 oz shot. (I use Cheddite primers and Green Dot to save even more $.) Another option is to use the OEM Winchester WAA 20 (not HS) wad in a gun club hull but drop just 340 grains of shot. I use 16.0 gr Unique and a Cheddite primer for these. Both are soft shooters.

#12 ·
If you’re interested in a light 20 gauge reload, seriously consider using 3/4 oz of shot. These loads are economical, and they pack more than enough punch to smash targets if you do your job.

Check out the websites of the various powder manufacturers and you’ll find all kinds of data to make this happen.

Good luck!

Dave

#13 ·
I’m hoping to find a powder that will deliver a 7/8 oz load at ~ 1150 - 1175 fps in either AA or Gun Club hulls. My old standby, Longshot doesn’t have data for that slow of a load. I’ve checked several other powders and found a few recipes @1200 but would like a bit slower if possible.

Any suggestions?
One of the clubs I shoot at is concerned about shot leaving their grounds and so mandates loads 1200 fps or less. They chrono loads too. I used 20/28 ,weighed charges,and found 50 to 90 fps higher than the recipes indicated. I dropped bushing sizes several steps to get into the desired range.The lower charges seem to burn well and velocity variations were minimal in tested shells. If you do not have access to a chrono I'll share charge weights.

#19 ·
Sportshooter is correct. Subgauge tubes had a tendency to crack at the extractor cut with GD and 7/8 oz loads in tapered hulls. You no longer see a GD load recommendation for 7/8 oz and tapered hulls, but you will for that load in a straight walled Federal hull.

#21 ·
Unique.

Very soft shooting with 20 gauge loads under 1200 fps.

I've loaded and shot tens of thousands of 20 gauge skeet loads. Also a great 28 gauge powder, and I used it for many years with both gauges and had excellent results.

Yes, I've tried 20/28, and IMO, there is a big difference in felt recoil and noise level.

I had a good friend who passed away that loaded Herco in his 20's, and his loads were the softest shooting 20 gauge shells I ever shot, BUT, your hands were as dirty as a coal miner after shooting 100 targets.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.