Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Does anyone out there have the true reason for the overall shortage of these things ?? I know many things have been mentioned- fires, Obama, hoarding, broken production equipment . Does anyone know the true reason( s). Just the Facts please. Thanks,Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
The January issue of the NRA magazine "American Rifleman" had an article on this.

NOTE - it appears you are not a member of the NRA - sign up today...

The basic answer of manufacturers is that the consumer demand for 22 LR has sky-rocketed. More people are entering the shooting sports, people are 'hoarding,' etc.

They are running at max capacity, and none really stated that lack of components was impacting production - just demand for the product.

They specifically say that the government is NOT buying that much 22 LR - other ammo yes, but not that much 22 LR.

Powder and primers are the result of same - consumer demand and hoarding has exceeded capacity.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Was at a Sportsman's last Sat. They gave out 50 numbers for people to get .22's. When they brought them out, they said that they got in more than anticipated. They asked us to form another line for the additional .22's. They gave them all out and still had more. You never know what they will get in but they had Federal and Remington bulk packs. They got some powder and Remington rfle and pistol primers. I actually went there for shot shells and got two flats of Top Guns.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
When did the postal carriers start packing heat?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The USPS is not soliciting for 2 billon rounds of ammo - that is the total round count for all the non-military gov agencies combined for the next five years. Actually the USPS did not specify the quantity in the Federal Business opportunities posting. So in an effort to keep things stirred up real good, all these uber paraniod rags keep throwing that 2 billion round number out there to make some kind of a point without any actual data. Gotta read the whole article.

Then the other thing you need to do is take a wild guess about the number of rounds currently in the posession of private citizens. If there were just 100 rounds available for every firearm in circulation, that right there would add up to around 10 billon rounds. I think it is a safe bet that all of us have way more than 100 rounds for each of our firearms.

It really is the Zombie Apocalypse or the belief in such things fueling hoarding to never before encountered levels.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If it is truly the Zombie Apocalypse coming, one of my Best friends is a funeral director and he is doing his part to stop it from happening. He told me after several hopped beverages that he is tying the shoe laces together of everyone he lays out. He doubts they will be unable to untie them, so they won't be chasing anyone!!!

I am in the shooting industry and it probably is all of the above with more folks shooting lots more .22s, hoarding. I visited 3 of the largest distributors this year and all were up 20-50% on .22lr sales from 2012 and still don't have a case in stock.

At some point it will start to catch up.

BG
Charlotte,NC

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Looking at the local club, there are a lot more shooters doing a lot more shooting with a lot more guns. I'd say it's an increased demand due to many new shooters, or old shooters getting back into it. We have a lot of new shooters with brand new guns looking to learn the sport.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
We have guys at work who never owned guns before now buying guns and ammo. It makes sense that if you have all these new shooters its cutting into our ammo supplies.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts