Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dumped a bottle of powder into the wrong jug, and now have about a pound of Green Dot mixed with a pound of Unique. Is there anything to do with this, or is it an expensive mistake?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
You just made some nice garden fertilizer. Throw it away and make it a lesson learned.

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
Mix well and use with a heavy GD recipe. Some guys do this on purpose, which I don't advise. But since Unique is slower than GD that's what I would do. For practice shells.

HM

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Johnny "Threefingers" used to mix powder too. That's how he got his nickname.

"or is it an expensive mistake?" You lost about $30 worth of powder. A lot cheaper than your gun, your eyes, your hands, and the lawsuit created by injuring others.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I guess I am second behind Wayneo?

I know exactly what to do with it? And it aint going in the garden.

Michael

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Two pounds of powder probably is worth $40-50. Two pounds of powder will reload about 700 shells at 20 grains of powder each. 700 shells will require about 50 pounds of shot. At $40 per 25# bag, you will need about $80 wort of shot. Add in the cost of 700 primers and wads and now you need about $100 or more of components to make 700 shells of unknown performance. Why waste another $100?

Pour the mixed powder on your flower bed.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I have heard all the reasons ,even special people relate mixing of powders.NO one KNOWS! What is your health worth? What is the health of your fellow shooters worth? Dont guess! NO MORE BULLSHIT!!! THrow it out! Jeff

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
No powder manufacturer will advise you to use it. The two powders, performance wise, are so different as to relative speed and will measure differently. In no way would I attempt to use such a mixture. BT100dc

·
Registered
281 Posts
Those are both double base powders with very similar burn rates. Green Dot 29 and Unique 35 on the burn chart. Both are made by Alliant. If it were me, I'd do what halfmile said. Mix it up well and use like Green Dot. I doubt you could tell any difference. No sense in tossing good powder when they are so similar.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Question for you naysayers?

How much Unique mixed with Green Dot does it take to "ruin" the powder for further use? Will one flake of Unique ruin a ton of Green Dot? Two flakes? A dozen? An ounce? A pound? Half and half?

Michael

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Mike- Reductio ad absurdum.

For me, I MIGHT be able to justify using a "mixed powder" scenario if it were one shell worth mixed into a 8lb jug (>20 grains), and they were similar powders, MAYBE. Any more than that, and I'd toss it. I certainly would toss it if it were mixed 50/50, as it was in this case.

The better question is are you willing to assume the liability, and a possible lawsuit, for advising someone to use mixed powder, when you have no idea what the outcome will be? I guarantee that there is no powder company on the face of the planet that will.

Only logical and safe options for the OP are to: A. Dispose of it (if someone is so cheap they can't afford to eat 2lb of powder, then they are in the wrong sport) or B. Load some shells, and have them sent out for ballistic testing to determine the pressure. Although this would be illogical talking about 2lb of powder, since it will cost you more than the powder is worth to have the testing done.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ian, Argumentum ab auctoritate

So a ratio of 56000:20 is ok but 56000:21 is not?

I would invoke the phase "common sense", but common sense aint very common these days.

By the way anybody ever heard of Promo powder?

Michael

1 - 20 of 84 Posts