Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of time this afternoon to go and get a few components to keep reloading some 20 gauge shells for Skeet and Sporting Clays. Got what I needed without an issue but never over all the years since reloading have I ever seen powder shelves with nothing on them.

The dealer I use for the most part would generally have everything in factory size denominations of Alliant, Winchester, IMR and Hodgdons. Pretty much a full line dealer. Not today, the only single 8# keg was a Winchester AA Super Handicap, Not a single 8# or 4# keg in target powder. He had quite a few 1# but not the more popular powders. Gotta be pretty bad when you don't see 8 lbs of Promo. Thought I was pretty up on things but, must have just crawed out from under a rock on this one.

There a lot of shooters in Penna., a lot of reloaders that go along with the shooting. Hope it's only a short term regional thing.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Yup. I'm looking for Winchester 760 powder, as I use it for 223 and 22-250. Can't find any anywhere. Closest is 748, but I don't want to have to start from scratch redeveloping loads. IMR SR4759 is also scarce, and no one locally has GOEX blackpowder. Just the fake stuff.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well, I guess I'm lucky but I've got enough powder/loaded shells to last me about a year and a half. Hopefully things will loosen up in that period....

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Spanky,

Recob's Target has Clay Dot and Red Dot in 8's.

Brian,

no Winchester 760 though.

Steve

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Brian...... Check your PM's...... Dan

·
Registered
209 Posts
Each time I see Clay Dot I chuckle at Alliant's slogan "Technically Superior By Design" and their Clays comparison "Designed to duplicate the performance of Hodgdon® Clays™ at an economical price."

I guess they technically designed it from looking inside Hodgdon's bottle?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm seeing some ClayDot here and there. If things don't improve in the next year or so I may have to try it.....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not hurting just couldn't believe the sight of shelve space that bare. I was hooking myself up with some components for 20 ga. hunting shells. That wasn't too much of a problem only a slight change had to be made.

I nipped that Clays situation in the butt way back when before it started to get scarce. Before it got scarce the price went up. $25.00+ on 8 pounders compared to the Dots. That's when I stopped buying Clays. I do like the powder but it ain't all that. I bought enough Clay Dot this time last year to hold me over quite awhile, reloaded a few flats, and when I saw that Clay Dot was getting scarce and dried up quick I pulled of some American Select. That is what I'm reloading now, American Select is a damn good powder. I think I'm going to stay with that even when things get back to normal. I like everything about it and it falls in perfect with all my existing components.

I think the price of Clays will stay up and when it becomes available it will only trickle. A lot of reloaders won't go back. Why?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I went to Clay Dot when the Clays dried up and am glad I did. At $99 (sometimes less), it's a great powder. Even if they did steal it from Hodgdon. Mike

·
Registered
254 Posts
The powder situation is improving . My local gunshop has received a couple 8pound kegs of PB for me . I have one left over from last year . I think I will be ok. I think the powder shortage is easeing. Just hang in there and don't panic . Let the resellers eat there powder .

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer I mostly use has been limiting to one container of each powder. It doesn't matter if it's a one pounder, 4 or an eight pounder. But, I think you can buy three types at one time. If you wanted 8# of Red Dot and he had no 8# kegs but had fours and one pounders you could only buy a 4 or a 1 pound can. I can somewhat see their point. To drive 40/100 miles for 1 pound I can't see that. Call first and don't assume. Better have a few flats loaded up for yourself.

One of my shooting buddies who reloads found himself in a pinch. He assumed that Promo was going to be easy to get. Not so. A lot of guys are using Promo, pretty much the last powder to dry up. Took a long ride for nothing. He's a Red Dot shooter and lucked out another good sized dealer had some in 8lbs. closer to where he lives.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been e-mailing or calling ahead on my powder dealer and buying as much as I can afford, he'll allow or the DOT won't arrest me for transporting.

My primary dealer is expecting a shipment in January. I'm planning on making several trips and buying several types because one never knows what's going to be in short supply next. Primers were hard to find at the beginning of the year last year, so whenever I saw a deal, I added another thousand to the shelf. I saw the supplies of powder thinning out and bought in.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I wonder how much damage will be done to Hodgden due to the fact of people getting used to using other powders. I understand that the lack of powders, especially the Clays line, is due to a problem at the ADI plant....

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I switched to Clay Dot last year and never looked back. I have plenty of powder, ample amount of primers, and 2 cases of wads (DR-XL-1). I'm worried about shot, though.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I have not seen Alliant Unique in over a year. CAC supposedly had an Alliant shipment on Wednesday, and our club order from CAC arrives today. Maybe I'll be lucky.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
CAC made their powder delivery in Eastern PA on Wednesday. Limited quantities to all dealers and distributors with the warning further shipments may be two months away. CAC is a master distributor for Alliant products. Call your dealer for supply availability today!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ramshot Competition being used in Alaska,we can't hardly get any powder.WST in small amounts.Nothing from Aliant in a while.Sportsman Warehouse is useless for getting any powder or reloading components.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts