Trapshooters Forum banner

Powder Clumping and Dryer Sheets

1273 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Joe Trapalino
I believe I've read on here somewhere that some folks put a dryer sheet in their powder to help absorb moisture and preclude clumping. My question is...any brand of sheet better than others? Second...do you just lay it on top of the powder in the powder bin after you fill it? Obviously you take it out when it is time to refill. Also assume you throw it away and put in a new one.

I dump my powder after every loading session, but even while reloading, I see some light charges. When I look in the hopper, it has some clumping or spaces where it isn't dropping in the hopper evenly.

I load in an area that has a dehumidifier and it normally stays about 50% most of the time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
858 Posts
The drier strips are intended to reduce static electricity, not to absorb moisture. If you have clumping due to moisture you'll need a different solution. You could try suspending a silica gel packet in the airspace above the powder in your bottle or jug. I find that gently "tumbling" the powder jug in my hands for a minute before filling the bottle on my reloader helps reduce clumping. -Ed

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I use anti-stat aerosol spray before I load the hopper. A quick spritz to fog the tube (less is better) and as Ed suggests, a few seconds of tumbling before I load the hopper tube. Keeps the flaky stuff from flying everywhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.