Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Many years ago I bot a bottle with an internal baffle. It has Precision Products with a bulls eye on the bottle. It has gotten so dirty from powder over the years I can hardly see the powder level and I cannot find a replacement.

·
Premium Member
12,687 Posts
I use the red plastic one. My only reason for doing so is that it stops powder leakage. Powder is WST.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,898 Posts
A powder baffle will improve consistency from a full to near empty reservoir. It may not be enough improvement to show up in the final result (shooting).

The ability to measure powder drops accurately is something that is not easy to do.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Use a metal baffle on my Mec 9000E and it appears to work well in reducing the level of variation in powder drop weights. It also helps with reduction of powder loss/leakage when using dense fine powders like TiteGroup.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
So I was loading some 700-X today and had to refill the powder bottle (no powder baffle). As the bottle became nearly full, I noticed that the powder wasn’t dropping the way it should, yet the bottle wasn’t completely filled. What the hell? Looking closer, I found this little guy stuck in the neck of the funnel. So I fished him out with a pair of needle nose pliers and snapped a pic.

So Mark, do you think the powder baffle would have prevented this anomaly? LOL…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So I was loading some 700-X today and had to refill the powder bottle (no powder baffle). As the bottle became nearly full, I noticed that the powder wasn’t dropping the way it should, yet the bottle wasn’t completely filled. What the hell? Looking closer, I found this little guy stuck in the neck of the funnel. So I fished him out with a pair of needle nose pliers and snapped a pic.

So Mark, do you think the powder baffle would have prevented this anomaly? LOL…
That would be bafflling!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Started using the red plastic ones when I changed my powder to Titewad . I have one on all of my loaders now and wouldn’t reload without it , unless I start using a different powder that doesn’t migrate like Titewad does.

If you are having problems with using this baffle it’s probably because you don’t have it set up properly. Do not use with a washer and make sure your plunger on the end of the baffle is moving freely and not binding up.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I've never "needed" a baffle until I used TiteGroup. It's a very fine powder and I found it would leak out the top of the charge bar even with a fresh brass washer and rubber grommet. It stopped leaking when I went to the baffle.

However I've since been using IMR Green and am having some drop issues. Not sure if it's due to the baffle or not. It's a very dense powder, probably larger flakes than 700x.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Many years ago I bot a bottle with an internal baffle. It has Precision Products with a bulls eye on the bottle. It has gotten so dirty from powder over the years I can hardly see the powder level and I cannot find a replacement.
Does anyone have any thoughts on cleaning the bottle>

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The MEC bottles tend to turn yellow over time and it’s probably best just to replace them. They also become brittle and can break. I prefer the taller bottles, but never without a bottle support on the machine.

Jon Reitz

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use one but I cant really say that it makes a difference with the testing I have done. It just seems to make sense to me by its design that the powder flow more uniformly?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts