Pounded neighbor lady's beaver | Page 3 | Trap Shooters Forum

Pounded neighbor lady's beaver

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by murphranch, Jan 2, 2019.

1. BENCHREST

BENCHREST Well-Known Member

Pounded neighbor lady's beaver
    Murph, I am trying my best to not participate!!!!!!
    All I can say you can't make this stuff up...

Charlie Becknell, GoldGuy and ganger thanked this.
  2. Trussman2

Trussman2 Well-Known Member

The neighbor lady weighs 65lbs, not her beaver......

murphranch thanked this.
  3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

forgot to ask, but I presume you've been pounding those beavers with a 50 cal Hawkin??

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    murphranch thanked this.
  4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Thanks Flashmax - I truly hate auto-correct...

Fixed in original.

murphranch and flashmax thanked this.
  5. Henry winn

Henry winn Well-Known Member

We built a 70 acre lake with a cabin out over the water. You can park two boats underneath.
    Beavers built a lodge under there.I tore it apart, they got new stuff and made it bigger. I set traps and didn't catch any.I taped a maglight to a benelli ,stayed up all night shooting them and found out a shotgun won't kill them.
    So I started reading about the habits of beavers. If you kill the largest Male they will leave. The beavers work at night and at daylight the all come back to the lodge.
    The way I took them out was wait for them at their house with a 25-06 at daylight.
    They kept coming and I kept shooting.when it was over there were no dead beavers floating.I could not believe a had missed. Then one by one they floated up.
    I had won the war. They are a worthy opponent.
    HW

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Charlie Becknell, murphranch and GoldGuy thanked this.
  6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... there are male beavers?!?

It's all that new bi-gay-lesbian-trans stuff they are pushing, isn't it?

murphranch, BENCHREST and trappermike thanked this.
  7. agrooms

agrooms Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Funny as I read this MANY things come to mind.

#1 - Murph will never be a Supreme Court Justice.

#2 - He always has the best hunting/trapping stories and I knew somehow there would be a female in there somewhere.

#3 - Trapped as a youth in late 70’s and early 80’s when it was lucrative. Made some good coin.

#4 - Never shaved a Beaver but they are difficult to skin and flesh. They are stretched flat and in the round.

#5 - Beavers don’t have any externally visible sex organs. Old story - To determine the sex of a beaver you throw an apple in the pond. If he eats it, it’s a male. If she eats, it’s a female.

#6 - Never had to dispatch a beaver by “beating”. Typically caught in 330 Conibears, leg holds on drown slides or snared.

#7 - Beaver meat (the large aquatic rodent) is very good. It is very lean and is quite delicious. The scavengers loved them. I would throw the skinned carcasses in a ditch. The beavers always got picked over first.

Yes - these are the random thoughts that blast through my head as I read this. Scary - I know.

murphranch thanked this.
  8. murphranch

murphranch Well-Known Member

I couldn’t take anything from Gladys other than her beaver. My brother (he could care less about her beaver issues)and I have stopped by and checked on her ever since her husband passed away. He and my father died within a month of each other. When my girls have school or 4-H fundraisers she always buys from them and adds an extra Benjamin onto the final total. Dad always said she came from money so old that Carbon 14 just shrugged its shoulders at it. She’s one of those people that you enjoy visiting with. agrooms-you are correct about the carcass of a beaver. It’s my #1 go to bobcat and coyote bait. They can’t resist it. I have eaten beaver at a place called Booger Reds, Dead’s and Beds, it was owned by A man named Red who bought furs and whole animals to skin and also had a 12 room motel, he would cook anything he skinned if it was fresh and it does have a sweetness to it. Went back today and checked my traps and had nothing. My sticks were still in the slides and after last nights hard freeze I did not see any open water, broken ice or beaver fart bubbles trapped under the ice so I’m pretty sure I won’t have to go back to the neighbor lady’s to work on beaver. I had to go pick up a few friends of my daughters this evening because they are having a sleep over here at our house-8 girls, ages 12 to 15, and as we were going down the county road from the last young ladies house I noticed a creek that was dammed up and had some fresh cut trees. I asked Emery about it and she said “mom likes them and she told dad not to bother them. But dad said well if you don’t do something about the beaver I know someone who will take care of the problem for ya. Was he talking about you Mr. Murphy?” I was at a loss for words. On a side note: Beware, there is some major thread title and post material being produced by these young ladies this evening at our house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldGuy thanked this.
  9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Well, from your description a cougar may be using a beaver as bait too...

Not sure I want to hear the stories generated by the sleep-over.

murphranch thanked this.
  10. murphranch

murphranch Well-Known Member

Lots of Ohhh my gawwd, nooo waayy, and shuuuut uuuppp topped off with copious amounts of unprovoked giggling. Good bunch young ladies. Lucky my girls have friends like them and they choose to hangout together.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

GoldGuy thanked this.
  11. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

The last time I ate beaver (the aquatic rodent!) I just about puked!
    I was at a Wildlife Federation convention, and on the Friday night there was a wild game banquet. I had never eaten beaver, so tried some out. It was cooling off by the time I got to it, and was a little chewy, but didn't taste too bad. Then I bit into a pocket of fat!!
    Oh my God it was awful! It was like cool castor concentrate, with the fat clinging to my tongue. No matter what I ate, I couldn't get rid of the taste, nor would any drink mitigate the horror. I had that nasty tasting fat clinging to my tongue, teeth and gums for the rest of the night, so I figured the only possible thing to try was straight booze.
    I'm here to tell you that rum on the rocks does NOT cut the taste of beaver fat, and even waking with a killer death hangover and brushing your teeth compulsively doesn't seem to help, either.
    The cure ended up being a hot spicy soup at lunch on Saturday. It was spicy, but I think it was the heat from the flame under the soup tureen that finally melted the last of the congealed fat out of my mouth.
    I can now say I've eaten beaver, but from now on - only the non-aquatic sort!

murphranch and agrooms thanked this.
  12. agrooms

agrooms Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

LOL - you learned a lesson of beaver day the hard way. Indeed, the meat must be clean. It is a very far meat (reminds me of bear). It is high protein, low cholesterol meat and when prepared correctly it is very tasty. Many years ago, I made up a roaster of it for a game feast done up like pulled pork in a BBQ sauce. None of it came home. It all got eaten.

Was a challenge when skinning, if you decided you were going to save the meat. When you skin them you want to get as little fat as possible on the hide as it is a bitch to scrape. However if you want the meat you don’t want the fat on the carcass either.

The wild birds would pick the fatty carcasses clean (raccoons and beavers). It was like natural suet. Not much fat on canines, mink or muskrats. Never tried eating muskrat but I bet it could be palatable also.

murphranch thanked this.
  13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

So let me see if I understand this... If you are going to eat beaver you want to be sure it is very clean and fat free??

What is Hippie going to do?? His beavers appear to be anything but fat free.

murphranch thanked this.
  14. FlynLiver

FlynLiver Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

I did take the back straps and hind quarters one time and ran them through the grinder then made burger jerky. It tasted fine but I don't think I will do it again.
    We are over run with beaver up north hides aren't worth a dime so nobody is trapping them. I need two more nice big hides then I can start sewing them together to make a huge bed spread and sew the pairs of the dark ones together for pillows. I showed these pics before but here they are again.
    I love shaved beaver nothing softer.
    View attachment 1547625 IMG_20151106_130259.jpg

phatkaw and murphranch thanked this.
  15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

In all seriousness native beavers can be nasty and destructive. We have several wild ones around here that have caused problems aplenty....oh never mind.

Bill

murphranch thanked this.
  16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I think I knew a few of them in college.

Full disclosure - I graduated from BEAVER COLLEGE in Glenside, PA...

murphranch, slayer and BENCHREST thanked this.
  17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

All of a sudden I have this really big desire to pet a beaver!

Hauxfan!

GoldGuy and murphranch thanked this.
  18. Henry winn

It's hard to get a beaver to hold still while you pet it.
    HW

murphranch and Hauxfan thanked this.
  19. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

If that is the case you are doing something wrong...

Hauxfan, murphranch and BENCHREST thanked this.
  20. Henry winn

You must be talking about old beaver's.
    HW

murphranch thanked this.
Search tags for this page

art

bad neighbor lady
how to use beaver castor for trapping
lady pounding
neighbor lady stories