Pounded neighbor lady's beaver | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pounded neighbor lady's beaver

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by murphranch, Jan 2, 2019.

1. murphranch

murphranch Well-Known Member

Have an older neighbor lady that has a beautiful pond behind her house that the beavers found. She called me to trap them. First den I got my traps ready and when I laid down on the bank to set them I glanced up into the den just in time to see this one coming out in a hurry. Had just enough time to lay 2 double springs down in the water and grab the chains. I thought I had a gator on the end of it when it all came tight. Wasn't one of the smartest things I've done but all I could do at the time. 22 rifle was close enough to get it dispatched. 65 pounder with decent fur. Not prime, but close.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

2. Don Nelson

Don Nelson Active Member

Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Don Nelson

Don Nelson Active Member

Killed with a battle axe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

5. Hansamzac

Hansamzac Member

'Pounded neighbor lady's beaver'. Not what I expected, guess the internet has warped my brain.

CalvinMD, SDBigDog55, Scorpion8 and 9 others thanked this.
  6. use

use TS Supporters TS Supporters

great story. I beit everybody clicks on thread

Chance McCall and Cwcroft58 thanked this.
  7. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, SS did a thread about his neighbor lady’s red bush a while back.

8. murphranch

Never have been bit by one but did have a large beaver hit me just above my man junk head first while noodling catfish in a mud bank creek. It completely knocked the air out of me. I would try to breath and could only get a tiny bit and would make that rapid wheezing sound one does when his lungs have left the safety of your rib cage and are hiding behind your spine just under the skin of your back. My buddy kept saying that it was a huge flathead and why did I let him out of the hole? Wasn’t long after that it surfaced and slapped its tail on the water and my buddy Coop yelled “beaver”. No [email protected] Sherlock was all I had to say. Never again will I go noodling in muddy creeks, only clear water rocky ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldGuy, Russ-in-Pa and acorange thanked this.
  9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

From the size of that beaver I bet the chains you held on to were the only thing keeping you from falling in.

10. vatrap

vatrap Well-Known Member

It may not qualify for post of the year consideration, but the title definitely gets attention.
    I did that a few times in my younger days, thankfully there are no photos.

CharlieAMA and Brent Paulus thanked this.
  11. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

One to remember when it’s times for 2019 nominations!

CharlieAMA and Brent Paulus thanked this.
  12. Brent Paulus

Brent Paulus Well-Known Member

I kinda thought I was going to see the start of a RemDog Challenge :oopps:

13. 2500 HD

2500 HD Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Hey Murph,

Now that you have that beaver at your house - and I know you said it has 'decent fur' - but I was wondering if you were going to shave the fur off of it.

I recall a thread involving a beard trimmer, a sweater, and a daughter that might have touched on this matter.

Inquiring minds want to know...

GoldGuy, wingmaster78, agrooms and 2 others thanked this.
  15. Troutbum60

Troutbum60 Well-Known Member

Just goes to prove that old ladies still need a beaver pounded once in a while.

Chance McCall and vatrap thanked this.
  16. murphranch

That’s funny you brought this matter up. This beaver as well as a few other my hands have been on will get washed and dried thoroughly because beavers can smell pretty rank and no one likes a stinky beaver. After that the beaver will get laid on its back and shaved smooth. All of the hair will be collected and bagged. It’s a nasty job because the short hairs will get in your mouth, nose and all over your face. I have another guy that likes to help me take care of my beavers and I sling him some side cash. He really earns it on the rank ones with bigger gaping holes that he might have to stitch up from bullet wounds. I have an older man in Olathe Kansas who is a Master Hatter that still makes cowboy hats the old fashioned way. He is the one who does the dirty hard work shaving them. The really fine hair of beaver is used to make cowboy hats and it’s water resistant and it has a way of interweaving itself. It’s actually a neat process. He has a machine that looks like a cotton candy machine and as it spins he slowly adds the hair and other materials into it and it spins it to the outside drum where it begins forming the “blank” or sheet that he will then put into a press that forms the raw hat. With today’s fur prices I maybe could’ve got $5 for that beaver. I used to get up to $75 for them when I first started trapping. A REALLY GOOD 20X hat today will cost you around $500. I trade him out a hat about every 2 to 3 years and we call it even. If you ever hear of a silver belly cowboys hat it’s because if you look at the fine belly hair of a beaver it’s actually silver not brown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldGuy thanked this.
  17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Do you collect the castor oil glands from them??

I understand they are worth quite a bit - people use that 'beaver smell' to augment all sorts of things, especially perfumes...

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I must admit I never really inspected the color of beaver hair that closely.

Mostly because so few have any on them anymore, but also, with the advent of hair coloring you can never be sure of the 'native' state color the beaver came with...

19. K-Hornet

K-Hornet Well-Known Member

I want to go on record that I never trapped a beaver, all mine were freely given and of legal age. Trapped a lot as a kid but never got a beaver. My dad came up with an old H&R trapper pistol, .22 Short and it never failed me. Last I remember Rats were 35 cents and a good mink would get you $3-5. Last I trapped was 1968

20. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Are you going to go pound her beaver again or was this a one time thing?

Russ-in-Pa and vatrap thanked this.
Search tags for this page

art

bad neighbor lady
how to use beaver castor for trapping
lady pounding
neighbor lady stories
pounding beaver
son gets laid by nieghbor lady
sounding neighbor lady