Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my initial patterning from Sunday morning using the Invector Imp Mod choke. This was done with the first 10 shots out of the gun (bottom barrel). Estimating the center of the shot pattern is hit & miss, but I think I got it close. Shoulder was sore Monday morning (still figuring out the mounting) - but by now ready for next Sunday.

Next steps for me will be to pattern the Mod choke using the same ammo, and then try the Federal TGM12375. But out of the box - I'm liking the Imp Mod choke. You can almost lay the targets on top of each other and the patterns line up.

As a lifelong mechanical engineer (and a long time handgun guy) this is intriguing - but being new to shotguns & trap, any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Your being an engineer explains the compulsive need to answer the "why" question.

Ultimately though it's how many birds does it break that really matters.

You and Neil Winston should really discuss this I've lunch sometime.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
This was my initial patterning from Sunday morning using the Invector Imp Mod choke. This was done with the first 10 shots out of the gun (bottom barrel). Estimating the center of the shot pattern is hit & miss, but I think I got it close. Shoulder was sore Monday morning (still figuring out the mounting) - but by now ready for next Sunday.

Next steps for me will be to pattern the Mod choke using the same ammo, and then try the Federal TGM12375. But out of the box - I'm liking the Imp Mod choke. You can almost lay the targets on top of each other and the patterns line up.

As a lifelong mechanical engineer (and a long time handgun guy) this is intriguing - but being new to shotguns & trap, any and all comments are welcome.
just don't get to technical over patterns.

jack mc

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So.....how are things in Hell (Michigan) ? I found his online 2011 slide show on POI - excellent actually.

The science of motion, particularly projectiles, have always been interesting to me. I've spent years trying to understand center fire handguns so I think this could be a natural progression - who knows?

As a newcomer to trap I do, however, see the value in understanding how the "machine" performs. If for no other reason than to compensate for my own shortcomings. And above all - it gets me outside and keeps my mind active.

"Breaking birds" will come, once I have a handle on the whole shotgun thing. I mean, man - I'm still trying to figure out how to hold the thing.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Knowing how the gun patterns is very important this is my second year shooting trap and over the winter I took my trap gun to Turkey shoots which we shot at a 12"x 12" card at 30yrds It really helped me with the point of aim compared to point of impact I went from shooting 16-17 of 25 to now I'm breaking 23-24 consistent with a few 25s in there

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. Even as a newcomer - I can't imagine trying to hit moving objects without knowing the difference between POI and POA.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It takes some getting used to it....keep me in touch on how you like your 725 I've been thinking about gettin one of the under single combos from guns unlimited

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shot a bunch of Brownings - this one just felt right the first time I picked it up and the first time I looked down the barrel. The balance is amazing - you'd never know it's almost 9 lbs. Crazy.

I think it "fits", but I'll have the local 'shotgun guy' verify that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to think about - there are 2 guys at our range that use weights.

For now, I've got enough on my plate just getting up to speed on mounting, breaking a few, and shooting in a squad.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Jim, looking at your white paper it looks like you weren't using shotgun insight. Hope you didn't count all those holes by hand.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Good work there, PSC. Can I make a suggestion? I think your pistol history and its "six o'clock hold" has you a bit confused when moved over to shotguns. You don’t need a big red dot to shoot at, just a cross (arms horizontal and vertical) painted on the target with a Magnum ® Magic Marker ®. Put the bead at the base of the cross in line with the vertical mark and fire away. You are doing fine anyway, but this way makes it easier to see what's going on.

Yours in Sport and Welcome to Shotguns,

Neil

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Neil, and all - I think the "colored dot" was recommended as something you could easily see, and put a bead on, from 40 years. I did draw a cross-hair on the targets, but then drew a second cross-hair at the center of the POI. What was astonishing was no motion side to side, whether off-hand or from a bench - and the counts were almost exactly 50-50.

I think the most important thing I learned was that the POI is a fairly consistent 6" (at 40 yards) above the bead (with the shell/choke I was using).

And yes, I did count by hand. "Shotgun Insight" - wow, who the heck would have guessed !

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I used to pattern and count by hand. Not enough time in the world to get past the variability of the shot cloud and gather any meaningful data. The digital tool using a photo is amazing in its ability to speed up a tedious job.
My youngest daughter liked to tick off all the holes with a marker. But that was steel 3 shot and only around 150 pellets. A load of 7 1\2 would be a bit hard on the marker!

·
Vendor
1,703 Posts
I would not go more open than the IM when shooting a Browning. Most of the time a Browning Mod choke will mic somewhere between .007 and .015 which is too open for singles and btw is really not modified. The industry standard for a modified choke is .020

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking at Randy Wakeman's YouTube video on patterns - I just intuitively though starting with the IM made sense.

On a few shots I counted total shots on paper, usually around 380 (for 7-1/2) - so I know there are a few "outsiders" going off who knows where.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts