Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if they have a little left or right path,I get it.
it seems the straight riser on 3 is inconsisitent.
i tend to shoot fast.
im thinking just let it peak and shoot is the answer here.
thoughts? head lifting?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I try hard to keep my eye on the rock,but because its rising fast,it feels like my eyeballs are dragging behind it.
sometimes i end up slashing above and miss over.
sometimes below it,close enough you see it move upon firing,but no chips.

·
Registered
570 Posts
With any target I always tell myself "See the target" while mounting my gun. This gives me some added focus to recognize the target presented and gives me the chance to make a smooth move to the target. This also helps me keep my head down

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,024 Posts
If you’re on post three and shoot for the straight, you’ll miss everything but the straight.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is one target that for some reason get by the best of shooters for one reason or another. It also looks like it should be one of the easiest to hit ,but that is not always the case . Because we think that it is an easy shot, and (l’ve got this, ) we have a tendency to forget about the fundamentals and generally shoot behind the target , but not always. I believe to keep from dropping this target , is to not think of it as a easy shot, but to think of it as another shot that needs just as much ,if not more attention to your setup and follow through fundamentals . Don’t rush the shot, you have plenty of time to smoke it. This is my experience with straight away targets , and believe me I have missed my share .

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I am opposite of Cowboy Rick. When I first started I was told to hold off to the right. Although I don't think that it was a foot, unless just a bit is a foot.
I tended to cross over the target line and miss on the left.
Shooting with both eyes open I found that holding on the line of the straight away on post 3 worked better for me. I see the blur under the barrel and I am not surprised when the target comes in focus above the barrel.
Now I think I could shoot holding off the side, just need to slow down. But hey, holding on the line of the straight away works for me, if it ain't broke...

Jason

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"I tended to cross over the target line and miss on the left."

Yes I do that also.
and if I hold on the roof to see it quicker,it just makes for a longer ride up, and it appears faster.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a pet theory on why we miss this shot....
It's a straightaway, so there's no dynamic movement left or right....so....I think when we miss this shot its because we're raising our arms (arm swinging) rather then moving to the target as unit. I think this is where Harlan Campbell's slight lean into the target really pays dividends. In my case, the lean is more than he teaches, but the principle is the same; we lean into the shot rather than our arms and face coming up from a stationary body. When you arm swing the barrel is moving up too fast and you shoot over the top.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Like cowboy Rick my hold point is a bit to the right on 3. If you shoot them quick you may not be realizing some targets may look like a straight away but in reality need a bit of lead. I used to shoot WAY to quick. Took a frank hoppe clinic and he showed me targets wont get away from you. From 27 yards he shot two from each post, rode them till they were almost on the ground and broke em HARD!! He was using the old super light AA'S. To slow me down he had me call my shots. I had to say what the target was before I moved the gun. It worked!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a pet theory on why we miss this shot....
It's a straightaway, so there's no dynamic movement left of right....so....I think when we miss this shot its because we're raising our arms (arm swinging) rather then moving to the target as unit. I think this is where Harlan Campbell's slight lean into the target really pays dividends. In my case, the lean is more than he teaches, but the principle is the same; we lean into the shot rather than our arms and face coming up from a stationary body. When you arm swing the barrel is moving up too fast and you shoot over the top.

Hope it helps!
That's exactly what my son's coach told him. If he put his weight equally on his feet, he would rock back on his heels and shoot over them while arm swinging. When he put a little more weight on his toes, he would smoke them. Leaning slightly forward keeps your hips correct and allows you to use your back rather than your arms. Good advice here by Trail! I've seen the results with my own eyes, so I know it works.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"It's a straightaway, so there's no dynamic movement left or right.."

when I really botch this one up,I start shooting it low gun and do a helluva lot better,but its a pre mounted game i know.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts