Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32,241 Posts
I like to lead off a squad, but it is up to each shooter to determine his/her accuracy of their own score. Any question Is to be raised when called lost or at the score announcement at the end of 5 rounds per post, before moving to the next post. Squad leader initials it and carries the score sheet to the next trap. His only duty besides that is to make sure everyone is ready to start at the beginning of each sub event and each time the squad moves to the next post.

·
Registered
Son: Browning Citori CXT Trap / 32" / Country Gentleman comb and adjustable butt plate added
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. The scorer was pretty set on that it was a loss. One of the shoot managers only changed it after talking with all of the shooters.

Another question - if it called a loss =, but you saw a chip. Do you stop the action then to question it or wait until all shooters have shot their 5 from that post? If you stop in the middle you will very likely mess up another shooter, but if you wait until the end of the 5 then you risk someone not remembering. I have seen it both ways and I have seen it mess up shooters in that squad.

·
Registered
Son: Browning Citori CXT Trap / 32" / Country Gentleman comb and adjustable butt plate added
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. The scorer was pretty set on that it was a loss. One of the shoot managers only changed it after talking with all of the shooters.

Another question - if it called a loss =, but you saw a chip. Do you stop the action then to question it or wait until all shooters have shot their 5 from that post? If you stop in the middle you will very likely mess up another shooter, but if you wait until the end of the 5 then you risk someone not remembering. I have seen it both ways and I have seen it mess up shooters in that squad.
In the scorers defense - it was a bigger shoot with 8 flights and we were the 3rd. Not sure what happened previous to taking the field. Still should not have impacted their scoring, but could explain their inflexibility.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I always stop immediately if I see a chip on a target called a loss. It may mess up the rhythm but it’s still easier to get it corrected right away then have to talk to the scorer between posts.

I’ve also seen shooters and myself get twisted up by not saying anything and running the “I should’ve said something then” or “did I actually see a piece since nobody else said anything” game through their head. So why wait? Get it corrected, take a breath and get back to it.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts

Immediately.

Generally atleast two of us will simultaneously call out.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I don't know how many times I have been called to a dispute over a called target where someone said two people saw it so the scorer has to change it . Wrong !scorer has last call if push comes to shove. I have had people that's been shooting 20 years think the two person thing is a rule.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
And, the squad leader does not have to sign the sheet, it's NOT a rule. Most do but don't have to.
This is from the ATA rules: c. The Squad Leader should check and initial the score sheet at the completion of each sub-event.

I guess it is the "should" part maybe.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
If I see a chip and a loss is called I immediately shout, Dead Bird. Often times there are several calls at the same time.

Pat
Very effective. Quite likely the next shooter will hear that you yelled something and look around before shooting. If not, the shot is still recent enough to be disputed even after the next shot. While its not required, multiple shooters immediately disputing the call is often heeded by the scorer. I have never seen anyone try to abuse it. I have seen shooters request a dead bird be marked lost before moving to the next post. I even did that once myself, and the scorer INSISTED he saw a piece. Spending time thinking on such things while you are shooting is one sure way to miss another, so just forget about it and move on.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I always stop immediately if I see a chip on a target called a loss. It may mess up the rhythm but it’s still easier to get it corrected right away then have to talk to the scorer between posts.

I’ve also seen shooters and myself get twisted up by not saying anything and running the “I should’ve said something then” or “did I actually see a piece since nobody else said anything” game through their head. So why wait? Get it corrected, take a breath and get back to it.
Last night shooting league scores on a pickup squad. It was sunsetish to give scorer a little room a shooter had a chip, fairly large come off the bird. As soon as I heard the scorekeeper call lost I yelled "NO" thats a deadbird. Was it the right thing to do? Yes. Did it effect the next shooter? No after a deep breath I called and broke my bird. Did it help my team? Maybe not, we are in a class with six birds between 1st and 4th place. Did I worry about that? No just get the broken birds right!

Who should see a miss called bird? I will suggest it is the next shooter to shoot. That one shooter should be coming into focus for their shot and be the most focused of anyone on the squad to see a miss called bird. "But it could upset their rythm! " BUT seeing a hit called lost won't? The last thing I want on mind when shooting is the thought, "she/he miss calleded that! What if?" And that what if, will be front and center as I call pull.

Al

Reactions: flashmax
21 - 32 of 32 Posts