Trapshooters Forum banner

Post 1 phobia?

4561 Views 47 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  Chazzersgarage
Most times when I presquad for a shoot I find myself shooting handicap without my regular 16 yard squad mates. Lately I have noticed that post 1 is the most common post left open followed closely by post 5. Is it because most shooters don't want to start out with hard left targets? Or are the majority of these folks just uncomfortable with being the squad leader? I always figure that in order to win you have to break them all from each post anyway. Just curious as to what everyone else thinks.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
968 Posts
I nearly always start to shoot on Post #1. I would rather start on #1 than finish on it. I have to admit I have been caught out a few times over the years with a nasty hard left as my first target, but those are the breaks and if I missed it was because I was not ready when I called.
I read once that Arnold Reigger one of the great shooters from the past said you should always start on #4 if you can and I think he was most likely correct, but you have to shoot them all so why not start off on the one that could be the hardest.
Starting on #1 also helps you control the pace of the squad.
Devonian.

· Registered
13,537 Posts
When I first started shooting trap. I disliked shooting station 1 first. I did not want to be the center of attention. Nor did I want to shoot without looking at a target first. After a few years I knew it was time to face my fear. I asked to shoot first at every practice round I shot. Before Long I asked for Post 1 when shooting ATA as well. You have to suck it up and go for it, if you want to advance in any sport. Good Luck on your Journey. break em all jeff

· Registered
153 Posts
A lot of times 1 is open on an early squads so I would take it sothat I can get done earlier. Whether 16's, Caps or DD.
A first Lots of times I would miss first bird out Because I really was not ready. Now I call for an extra bird- I know it is not right maybe illegal But no ones has ever said anything. And it makes me focus, more ready, and settled down a little more concentzrationing on shooting. After asking if all Ready, Lets See a Bird, Is target Ok to all. I am ready to shoot......

· Registered
609 Posts
When I started shooting with a regular squad I was the newbie. I took the place of a shooter who stopped shooting so I took his spot starting at post 4. I never gave it a thought, but after years of shooting I love starting on 4. It gets you shooting and looking at birds. Then you get 5 and 1 out of the way and finish strong at 3. If I ever have a choice, I start at 4 out of comfort and habit.

· Registered
3,365 Posts
When I started shooting registered most times when I was signing up 1 and 5 was open. Always took 5. Shooting 1 doesn't bother me but I liked 5. Got the tough posts out of the way. If you're in many shoot-offs sooner or later you're gonna have to lead off and a shoot-off isn't the place to break new ground. Besides, I've proven many times I can miss them from any post!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.