Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a progressive Posness wondering which model to buy, thinking of an 800 + looking for input to influence my decision , thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are buying new, the 800 Plus is a great choice. All P-W machines are designed for your loading needs. I've used a P-W machine of one type or another for 30+ years with extremely limited problems. If you were going to load other than lead, then the L/S model deserves some inquiry and the Patriot would have more bells and whistles. Best suggestion is to check out the website and call customer service. Also, may want to look at this website also as there is some pretty good information: S & W Supply Co. - Jim 'Whiz' White - Ponsness-Warren, Perazzi Sales & Gunsmithing Services

·
Registered
715 Posts
The nice thing about the Patriot is the shot and powder drop system. If there is not a shell under the shot or powder station it will not drop and make a mess. Too bad the other loaders don't have that or a retro fit to make them that way.

·
Registered
885 Posts
A fellow here in the Houston area had one for sale with all four gauge heads a few weeks ago. I don't think he is interested in shipping the unit but I don't know where you are located. If you are interested PM me with contact information and I'll see if I can't put the two of you in touch with each other. JPM

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have 3 PW loaders and I think the 800 + would be a great starting point for you. Just follow the directions and learn how to use it and I'm sure you will like it. Lot's of info on past threads on this site to help guide you

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I have an old 950 Elite, which was sort of a hybrid. I've been thinking a of new 800+ instead of refurbishing the 950..........

As someone earlier posted, there is lots of good information on Whiz White's website.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 800+ good machine for the money. I purchased mine from PW I wish I would have purchased from Whiz White at www.swsupply.com. The support I received from PW when I had questions was not that great. Whiz White is the best when it comes to PW machines but you have to buy from him to get the support, which is understandable.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
I have a 800+ good machine for the money. I purchased mine from PW I wish I would have purchased from Whiz White at www.swsupply.com. The support I received from PW when I had questions was not that great. Whiz White is the best when it comes to PW machines but you have to buy from him to get the support, which is understandable.
When I was rebuilding my other machine he was almost always ready to give support.
I had hell.fixing that machine until it wasn't worth the stressful nights.
My new 800 + hasn't needed any repair just remembering to adjust and. Clean and lube
Pictures of old broken and my new one
7573.jpeg
7804.jpeg

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you can afford it go with the Patriot I have 2 800+'s and a Patriot and a 375C, load different loads on each press.
The case activation on the Patriot is worth every penny you pay for the machine, it is an ornery machine to change bushings though. But I have a specific use for every machine I have. Been dealing with P/W's since early 70's
and I even had a Spolar for awhile and it was a good machine, just seems like the P/W's are a little heavier duty.
More of them been in use a whole lot longer, and the Spolar was a better machine for the 4 ga. shooter as to
changing ga. The 800+ pretty well took care of that though.

Mac

·
Registered
842 Posts
I had a crack,like Steve 12 had on his loader ,in roughly the same place,cracks are not uncommon to the P/W machines,it was better when they had used aluminum for their machines,but I no longer
use them,anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mac I also have both PW 800+ and Spolar. One is good the other is great, one cost 50% more than the other and worth the difference. Not sure if the Patriot uses the star gear for indexing like the 800+. The jolt the star gear gives to the shell plate when it snaps into place is my biggest complaint with the 800+. When loading with #8 shot and especially #9 for skeet the jolt causes a little shot to jump out of the shell on the way to the pre-crimp station. For me stray shot is the number one cause for the machine to fowl up, each time a shell is fowled there goes 10-15 minutes of frustration emptying the machine and starting the cycle over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts