Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i over heard somebody at the gun club that said he will not shoot next to anybody that has porting because powder or some other debris will hit you. Is this true or is it a wise tale?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
No its true. I have had things hit me when on station. Not often but it has happened. To me not a problem. Te porting is also louder then the non porting guns.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
God himself couldn't convince me that porting is nothing more than a gimmick from a snake oil salesman.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
There are good ports and there are bad ports. The ones that are closest to 12 o'clock are the better ports. The ones close to 3 o'clock and angle back toward the firing line are the ones that hit the shooters with debris. HMB

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Agree with Auctioneer and some types of porting "seem" worse than others to me, also shorter bbls ie 26\28" vs 32\34. Ross Puls

·
Registered
844 Posts
Uhh, no good ports exist, except in my rifles; personal experience ya know. Yeah, debris from adjacent shotgun shooters blown onto me and behind my glasses plus way excessive noise too.

Effect for the shooter seems negligible as well. So.......had 'em, but not ever again. This is just my humble opinion. Thanks for reading.

Ernie ....in AZ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I personally never like porting but tolerated those that had until I stood next to someone with porting and hot loads. Getting hit with debris once or twice that round plus the concussive blast made shooting miserable.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I have some ported barrels and some that are not. I'm not convinced that they do anything to help or hurt ones score. Who cares anyway? I'm more offended shooting next to a person shooting an ugly gun or a call that sounds like a distressed barnyard animal.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
When I started out shooting trap I had to shoot next to a person who either had a 26" or 28" barrels. I don't remember if they were ported or not. It was HC and I was one yard ahead of him. Well my ears were being rung badly. After shooting my turn I would take a step back. Let him shoot then take a step forward to shoot myself. The scorer then jumped on me because I was moving when it was my turn to shoot. I stated why and the scorer just didn't want to hear it. The person who was shooting the short barrel apologized but I told him that it wasn't his fault and I'm not blaming him. I was glad to have that round over with.

26" or 28" barrels can be just as bad as ported barrels.

·
Registered
348 Posts
At the RISK of sounding like FELIX UNGER of the Odd Couple.... All I can tell you about porting is that the porting provides one MORE area to clean and obsess over in the act of gun cleaning and maintenance. Especially true if you have a high raised barrel rib. Just my personal opinion. Three of my guns have porting but now, I try to keep away from it.... as to me, any benefit seems to be questionable vs the additional cleaning chores.
Art

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Each to their own on porting - I believe if it's done properly, it helps to reduce muzzle jump.

Porting and lengthening the forcing cone (if done properly) I believe helps. Look at these videos in slo-mo and watch the barrel flex on firing. Now, would porting and lengthening the cone help, maybe. The barrels are not ported but don't know about the forcing cone. Anyway, found this interesting.

http://www.see-the-lead.com/

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Give it to them Phil......................

If someone believes it works for them, then it does.

What a bunch of babies and old grumps

Surfer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts