Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,797 Posts
Can't say I would opt for porting again but the "P" gun I shoot (and have for about twenty years)has Pro Pigeon porting in the bottom barrel. (Came that way from first owner) It does reduce muzzel jump but it also creates some hostile remarks from shooter on the adjoining posts. "noisey". I like it even if they don't. It's your gun..did you buy it to shoot or worry about resale. Some of these gun traders lose more trading then they will ever admit and it's not from a minor loss over porting.

Big Jack

· Vendor
20,986 Posts
Well, my fave is "Seitz" style. And I do resent the guys that shoot the bottom bbl of their XTs along side of me on the singles line. Hcp is no biggy.

My O/U for dubs is Seitz style. Eyster is one that will do that. But Magnaport is a close second. After that I pass.

· Registered
379 Posts
Depends how the porting is done. I HAVE been hit with debris from porting with a hard angle. It IS noisier.

But, if it helps you, then so be it. COmpensators, porting, and the like are usually reserved for higher pressure loadings, so their effectiveness on a 12ga shotgun is severely diminished.

Now, put an effective brake on a 7mmRM rifle and the difference is night and day, although it is EXTREMELY loud.

· Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Porting is a total waste of money....results are virtually negligible in addressing muzzle jump and recoil. The holes are messy, loud, and seriously hurt resale. Some have experienced splits in barrels in/around the ports. All that said...this is America so you can do what you want. Best Regards, Ed

· Registered
663 Posts
I recently bought a nice Kolar combo with Wilkinson tuned bbls and porting already done. It didn't turn me off to the deal. Yes Id rather have had unmolested bbls, but with this buyers market I felt the price was right. I don't feel the gun is overly loud or that it impedes squad mates shooting.The porting looks like cylinder head chambers rather than a bunch of holes.Agree that cleaning takes more care.Not a horse trader so not to concerned about resale.Just my two cents.

· Registered
139 Posts
I hate shooting next to someone with ported barrels. I've caught powder and lead pieces in the arms and face shooting next to some ported bbl guns. It does seem that some do and some don't. I notice that mostly the cheaper factory porting throws more junk out and back. If you reallywant it get it. Resale would never sway my decision. Just respect other on the line.

· Registered
22 Posts
Hi
Old goat hit the nail on the head, I had a bt 100 stainless the ports filled
in with lead, carbon and plastic proof positive that porting does not work on
shotguns ( pressure too low )
Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.