Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I don't think so, but others will. Porting is similar to Anchovies. You like them on a pizza or you hate them on a pizza. There is no middle ground. Many who hate Anchovies on a pizza believe that everyone else should also hate them.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Porting will help you in the field. It helps to get the barrel in position for a quick second shot. HMB

·
Supporting Vendor
10,453 Posts
I like anchovies a lot and I like porting. Porting helps reduce muzzle jump and allows for a quicker recovery for the second shot. It's benificial with most of the shooting games.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
What he said!

My son and I once had KS-5s with the same barrel length but his was ported and mine was not. Neither of us could tell any difference. I once briefly owned a Citori Plus that was a rare unported gun and numerous owners of ported Plus guns didn't think my gun kicked any harder than theirs.

Porting works by bleeding off some pressure before the ejecta exists the muzzle but several ballistics experts have established that shotguns do not develop enough chamber pressure for ports to create any noticeable reduction in recoil. Rifles and handguns are a different story but porting them reduces muzzle velocity and really increases the muzzle blast - both happen because those firearms have enough chamber pressure for the porting to actually serve its intended purpose.

I do believe that porting can reduce muzzle jump a little which is beneficial when shooting doubles. But I'll take my barrels with just one hole in each end, thank you.

Ed

G

·
What Averaged said!

There are way too many ported barrels as it is. If you hunt over dogs, make sure to buy them some ear plugs as well.

ec90t

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Mark in SLC got it right....don't waste your money...spend it on ammo...take your wife out to dineer...buy a bottle of great single malt..whatever...

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your guns have bad porting. Maybe one day you will get a gun with good porting. Tron and I have guns with good porting. HMB

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
FWIW, I had the top barrel of my o/u ported back in Feb. There is a noticable difference in felt recoil/kick between the over-vs-under barrels with the ported barrel having less. I'm convinced that porting has helped me and the under barrel will be ported in a few months. As always, YMMV.

Eric

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gee I didn't expect as many no's. Thanks you guys, just getting in to trap but bought a field cynergy and was wondering because I will probably hunt some with it. I always thought the ported barrells looked cool, but may not port it now

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
My Browning GTI is a great gun except for the ported barrels. Loud, and you have to clean them, makes a mess out of your vented rib. Just port the bottom barrel if you have to. Whats the point of porting both? Wayne

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
I do my own porting. the holes are placed as close to the rib as possible. The ports are not aimed at my neighbor and do not bother the shooters next to me. Take a look at your ports, the ones that cause the problems for your neighbor are the ones that are aimed right at him. Also the ports that are aimed almost straight up provide the maximum down force. HMB

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Depending on loads used in the field. If your talking heavy high velocity loads it is my personnal belief that this is the only area where any noticeable effect can be detected.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Depending on loads used in the field. If your talking heavy high velocity loads it is my personnal belief that this is the only area where any noticeable effect can be detected.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
BARTMAN:

One more "no" vote.

Everything I shoot at targets (a 32" XT trap, a 30" Citori trap, and a low rib 90T) is ported. The ONLY reason is that they all came that way. I didn't and wouldn't specify porting on a new gun and wouldn't spend a nickel to have an aftermarket porting job done.

IMO porting does no particular harm but no good either. And... it is ferociously noisy on short(er) barrel guns. I don't shoot big bullets but the 30" Citori still makes one heck of a racket.

sissy

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
BARTMAN:

One more "no" vote.

Everything I shoot at targets (a 32" XT trap, a 30" Citori trap, and a low rib 90T) is ported. The ONLY reason is that they all came that way. I didn't and wouldn't specify porting on a new gun and wouldn't spend a nickel to have an aftermarket porting job done.

IMO porting does no particular harm but no good either. And... it is ferociously noisy on short(er) barrel guns. I don't shoot big bullets but the 30" Citori still makes one heck of a racket.

sissy

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.