Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are ported choke made ,don't do anything except make more noise why do shooters buy them is there something I am missing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I certainly don' have an answer as I could tell no actual performance difference in the ported shotguns I had. But the ports did make them make more noise.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I have several Briley ported chokes. I tried them on a few different Brownings and found no noticeable improvement in patterns. They are not extra noisy either because my barrels are already ported. I bought them to add an extra couple of inches to 32” barrels. That didn’t make any difference either. So in my estimation they look cool and that’s about it. They get nasty too just like ported barrels. If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn’t buy them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have been shooting with a pull trigger that releases about 4 pounds. I'm asking my gunsmith to set down to 3 pounds. Is this too light or ok for trap in your experience?
They look cool and make money for the seller,other than that NOTHING...
They also help the makers of cleaning supplies sell more because they are hard to clean.

CT

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
For that matter why a ported barrel on a brake open single barrel trap gun ?
If you listen to Jim Eyster on the Behind the Break podcast (link below) he mentions that there isn't enough gas pressure in the shotguns we shoot to do anything on muzzle rise with ports. But they can sometimes change how recoil is felt.

Also interesting to note that he said shape of the ports doesn't change anything. The only thing that can change ports doing anything is the area of material removed.

·
Registered
21,442 Posts
Neil Winston sez;

“My general finding is that the super-long ported chokes, and maybe extreme has been among them, shoot a little tighter which I think is desirable for long-yardage shots. But remember, higher pattern percentages are inevidably paired, on the average with less, not morepattern evenness, which is calculated from the ratio of pellets in the central 20 inches and the outer 20" - 30" ring. This is what long-yardage shooters need anyway, so it's no fault; it's a feature (and it really is!)

Neil”

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Porting on trap guns and chokes are selling points to those under the age of 30, and a bitching point for those over 70. The rest of us just don't care

1 - 20 of 32 Posts