Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a number of shooters here mention that they do not prefer ported barrels. Why is that?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
They don't do anything with pressures that a shotgun uses. Also shooters next them sometimes gets plastic and lead on there face. It's happened to me.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Trapshooter is right. And they're loud if you're next to them (you're on 5, ported gun on 4, he gets a hard right angle)

And, some guns decrease in value with porting.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Some of my guns are ported and some are not. I don't seem to notice any difference shooting them. But today I was shooting next to a guy that had a ported Browning over/under shooting doubles, and I noticed a couple of time that I got a big puff of wind in my face when he shot. I never had noticed that before and it really didn't bother me though. His ports were a lot larger than the ones in my guns. Mine are very small round holes, like with a drill bit, but his were much larger oblong holes especially on the bottom barrel because there were probably twice as many ports on it.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have ported barrels on some of my guns and I like it better than unported I think it reduces upward movement somewhat...I think the MAIN reason people don't like it is because it gives a prospective buyer something to pick at to get your price reduced...trapshooters spend as much time buying and selling and trading guns as they do shooting them....for some its as much of a sport as shooting and you all know that's the truth.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
When a person to my right or left has a ported barrel & uses theses 3dr bargain basement loads--the noises almost rattles my brains ,whats left of them

Phil Berkowitz

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Ports in a shotgun barrel were never intended to "Reduce Recoil". They work for what they were designed to do. I'd rather not have them, but it's not because they don't work. They are worthless on a single barrel gun. Some of the best shooters in the world use them, and they use what's best for them.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
It has been my experience and opinion that proper porting does help the user to a modest degree. I have never experienced or observed issues on the line with ported guns except for one that had been modified by the user.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I had a muzzle brake fabricated and installed by a local gunsmith (who did a great job, by the way) and asked him about putting one on a muzzleloader. He told me porting, brakes or anything that is intended to reduce felt recoil by bleeding off combustion gas gradually instead of all at once requires both sufficient gas volume and pressure to be effective. Black powder guns generate enough volume with their 100-200 grains by volume of propellant but not enough pressure. Shotguns, he told me, don't generate enough of either with 15 to 25 grains by weight of powder. He has installed muzzle brakes on muzzleloaders but no longer does because customers told him it was money wasted. That's from a guy who forfeited income by telling me that.

I once owned two KS-5s, one I bought used that was ported and one I bought new that obviously wasn't. No one who shot both guns with the same ammo could detect any difference in felt recoil. Also, if pressure is reduced, velocity must be lost - when I chronographed the two guns, the ported one actually showed a few feet per second MORE velocity - obviously, the difference in two barrels, which is common.

For me, between the dirt, noise and ineffectiveness of porting, I don't and wouldn't own a ported gun. The only Browning I ever owned was a fluke in many Browning fans' opinions - a 32" Citori Plus that somehow escaped the factory's porting process. It swung like a club but it wasn't ported. Fortunately, a Browning fan who recognized its rarity offered me the proverbial price I couldn't refuse and became its proud owner.

Ed

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
They don't bleed off gas to reduce recoil. If that were true, then just use a shorter barrel. They redirect the gasses which reduces recoil. Ports in a shotgun barrel only help hold it down.

I've got a M29 that is Magna Ported and sure it keeps the muzzle from rising, but to me it actually increases the push over one that does not. Depending on your state of mind that may be construed to either raise felt recoil, or lower it. It makes the 44 mag more controllable but after a while the recoil gets to you.

A muzzle brake on a large caliber rifle does reduce recoil, but it's using the gas pressure to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I really think it boils down to personal preference. I have not seen any published data (does not mean it does not exist - I just haven't seen it) where, in extended replicated test, porting is shown to significantly reduces muzzle rise, increases recovery speed or reduces the time to get on the second target. That data may exist but I do not remember reading or seeing it anywhere. However, as with many things, if the shooter thinks it helps - it probably does. I think it is a personal choice--- I know some very good double shooters who swear by porting and port everything. I know other very good shooter who do not think it helps and so they do not have ported guns. Personally, I have owned and shot ported guns but currently do not.......nor do I want one.

I heard a friend of mine say one time that: If when you are referring to porting you mean those holes near the end of a shotgun barrel which increases noise, increases powder and plastic residue being spewed into the air and fellow shooters faces - then I am surly against porting. If on the other hand when you mention porting, you are referring to those shoulder saving, heavenly holes near the end of a shotgun barrel which reduce muzzle rise and increase the speed of getting the shotgun aligned with the second target - then by all means I am for it." So there you go.....

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Porting went thru a craze for awhile. **Pro Port was very busy for a good while porting barrels. Now it seems the vast majority of ported ones you usually see are those that are "factory ported" at the time of manufacturing. I have owned a couple that were ** Pro ported and they seemed to reduce muzzle jump somewhat but, I couldn't tell any difference in recoil. Never was bothered shooting next to one.

·
Vendor
19,783 Posts
I was on the last trap of a Hcp round at the IA state shoot this year On station 4. Shooting pretty good at the time (high 80s from 26). And was cruising along and mounted my gun in my usual fashion and looked out over the bbl an saw this waft of smoke coming strate up from my Proports. Shook me out of my rhythm for sure and I dismounted the gun, cracked it open, removed the unfired shell and blew the smoke out of the bbl. Reloaded, mounted again and "smoked" the target. After that I paid closer attention to the smoke and it did not appear again.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I had a two bbl Ljutic MG set. Both similar dimensions except choke restrictions. One bbl has Seitz style ports, the other no porting.
No detectable difference by the shooter or adjacent shooter. I currently shoot a Pro-3 with the Briley tear drop shaped ports. No complaints whatsoever from anyone. Ports on Pro-3 do not throw powder residue on rib or bbl. Have not had to clean ports in over three tears. Still no carbon buildup. My LTX has Pro Ports. 25 shells will make the bbl and rib filthy.

Ported Browning Citori's (especially with the shorter bbls) are unpleasant to adjacent shooters.

I guess all this indicates some are OK, some not. I appreciate some shooters constantly bad mouthing porting. In general, it usually means I can pick up a very fine ported gun at a reduced price.
Marc

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
There are good ports and there are bad ports. The closer the ports are to 12 o'clock
the more force they exert to reduce muzzle jump. They can be a big help when
shooting doubles. HMB

·
Banned
890 Posts
Had barrels both ways. I would no longer have any of my barrels ported. There was not enough of a difference to justify the cost. On the other hand, if I saw a gun I wanted to buy, porting wouldn't stop me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts