Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are many people knocking ported barrels ?
I have them on my CXT 34", new gun that I haven't shot yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In as an scientific and fair comparison test between my virtually identical combos using the o/u barrels between the 22 year old ported and the almost 2 year old unported gun I could detect no measurable difference in muzzle flip by standing almost against a graphed paper on a small wall erected just to detect said difference if any. Some folks hate them, that’s can hurt resale values, some people love them that can help a resale sometimes _ me I could care less if it’s a gun I want and it was professionally done which means 2 things to me- #1 it’s cosmetically currect and #2 it dose t collect plastic fouling in ugly strips inside the bore meaning if holes had damned burred caused by porting process they were professionally removed

·
Registered
12,594 Posts
If you take a close look at the barrel, when its fired. Its biggest bend IMO, happens at the end of the forend. Then follows down the barrel like a wave in the water. The porting could not have caused a bend in the barrel at that point. The bend is normal in a barrel that long with no fixed rib to add strength and/or rigidity to the barrel. Like you would find with two barrels and a rib soldered to each other.

Porting does reduce muzzle jump to a small degree. I myself, have never really noticed the shooter next to me that had ported barrels or not!!! I was always to busy focusing on my shot, to worry if his ported barrels were blowing crap at me or making more noise!!! How much ported barrels helps, has never been measured to my knowledge. Of course reduced muzzle jump only really helps when your shooting a true pair of shots. Which of course is only shot by a small number of trap shooters. Even before the crash of 08. Our club had about 60 shooters for the singles event. then about 35 or so for handicap event. Only about 12 or so showed up for doubles every month. I expect this number should be higher at large shoots. Roughly 1 in 6 shooters is not many shooters that shoot doubles. So why have your barrels ported is a very common belief in Trap. Since most shooters only shoot a single shot for the most part. If you look at Bunker Trap shooters, they have lots of extra porting holes when compared to the pattern on any Browning strait from the factory. Brownings shotgun barrels are much lighter in weight when compared to a P-guns heavy barrel or a K-80 barrel. These heavier barrels naturally help reduce muzzle jump. Which is fine if you can afford a 13 thousand dollar shotgun.
I have talked to several shooters over the years who swear that the combination of ported barrels and over-bored barrels helps reduce felt recoil in their shotgun after having the work done by a vendor. After having the work done and shooting 200 or 300 rounds in one day, that evening or the following morning they said their shoulder did not bother them anymore. Did they sub-consciously justify the reduced recoil in their head? Does having this work done, work for everyone. I think not. I think it can help certain shooters. I do know the mind can do extraordinary things if you really believe. Bottom Line, would I pay a vendor to have this work done to my barrel? I would say NO!!! I have ported barrels in both my 525 and my BT-100. They both work extremely well. Muzzle jump is not a issue for me. Cleaning the ported barrels is a zero issue for me. I just wipe down the barrel before I place it in the gun case. To remove any grease and my body's oils from the gun. After I get home I wipe the metal down with a rem-oil wipe. Run a Tico-Tool down the barrel a few times, I'm good to go!!! No Rust, No Plastic Build-up!!! So in closing save your money, and just buy more ammo and targets. Don't worry about the guy shooting next to you. Just focus on your next target. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
. Since most shooters only shoot a single shot for the most part. If you look at Bunker Trap shooters, they have lots of extra porting holes when compared to the pattern on any Browning strait from the factory. Brownings shotgun barrels are much lighter in weight when compared to a P-guns heavy barrel or a K-80 barrel. These heavier barrels naturally help reduce muzzle jump. Which is fine if you can afford a 13 thousand dollar shotgun.

First, most bunker guns do not have heavy barrel sets. 1550-1600 is usual, some lighter. The heaviest I have seen (in the hands of a top shooter) are 1620. Michael Diamond's barrels are 1530, 29 1/2 inch and a very light gun overall. Lisa's SO5 was 1540 barrels and even lighter.

Secondly, the majority of bunker shooters do not use ported guns. Out of the top Australians currently on the circuit, I am not aware of any using a ported gun. Suzy Balogh comes to mind-she won a gold medal using a ported gun-but she's the only Australian I can think of, and that was 20 odd years ago. Bear in mind a "big" bunker day will be no more than 100 targets, spread over groups of 25 at least an hour apart.

Thirdly, there are rules regarding bunker and porting. I've never seen a bunker gun with "lots of extra porting holes".

Ported Barrels and Ported Interchangeable Chokes (with or without porting)

a) Ported barrels are permitted, provided they do not extend back further than 20 cm as measured from the end of the muzzle, or as measured from the muzzle end of any interchangeable fitted choke; and b) Interchangeable chokes (with or without porting) fitted to the end of the muzzle are permitted. In the case of ported interchageable chokes, their porting (plus any barrel porting) shall not extend back further than 20 cm as measured from the muzzle end of the interchangeable fitted choke

·
6,129 Posts
I've got an SBT with ports... done well, not a big deal in singles or handicap. I've got an XT with lower barrel pigeon porting. I think it helps for first shot doubles. To me, no noticeable increase in sound and my ears are 30" from the porting and muzzle...

Reactions: Dale R K

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
If you take a close look at the barrel, when its fired. Its biggest bend IMO, happens at the end of the forend. Then follows down the barrel like a wave in the water. The porting could not have caused a bend in the barrel at that point. The bend is normal in a barrel that long with no fixed rib to add strength and/or rigidity to the barrel. Like you would find with two barrels and a rib soldered to each other.

Porting does reduce muzzle jump to a small degree. I myself, have never really noticed the shooter next to me that had ported barrels or not!!! I was always to busy focusing on my shot, to worry if his ported barrels were blowing crap at me or making more noise!!! How much ported barrels helps, has never been measured to my knowledge. Of course reduced muzzle jump only really helps when your shooting a true pair of shots. Which of course is only shot by a small number of trap shooters. Even before the crash of 08. Our club had about 60 shooters for the singles event. then about 35 or so for handicap event. Only about 12 or so showed up for doubles every month. I expect this number should be higher at large shoots. Roughly 1 in 6 shooters is not many shooters that shoot doubles. So why have your barrels ported is a very common belief in Trap. Since most shooters only shoot a single shot for the most part. If you look at Bunker Trap shooters, they have lots of extra porting holes when compared to the pattern on any Browning strait from the factory. Brownings shotgun barrels are much lighter in weight when compared to a P-guns heavy barrel or a K-80 barrel. These heavier barrels naturally help reduce muzzle jump. Which is fine if you can afford a 13 thousand dollar shotgun.
I have talked to several shooters over the years who swear that the combination of ported barrels and over-bored barrels helps reduce felt recoil in their shotgun after having the work done by a vendor. After having the work done and shooting 200 or 300 rounds in one day, that evening or the following morning they said their shoulder did not bother them anymore. Did they sub-consciously justify the reduced recoil in their head? Does having this work done, work for everyone. I think not. I think it can help certain shooters. I do know the mind can do extraordinary things if you really believe. Bottom Line, would I pay a vendor to have this work done to my barrel? I would say NO!!! I have ported barrels in both my 525 and my BT-100. They both work extremely well. Muzzle jump is not a issue for me. Cleaning the ported barrels is a zero issue for me. I just wipe down the barrel before I place it in the gun case. To remove any grease and my body's oils from the gun. After I get home I wipe the metal down with a rem-oil wipe. Run a Tico-Tool down the barrel a few times, I'm good to go!!! No Rust, No Plastic Build-up!!! So in closing save your money, and just buy more ammo and targets. Don't worry about the guy shooting next to you. Just focus on your next target. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Bakerloo. Your right that this porting job looks to reduce muzzle climb and recoil. Not the angles that the ports are drilled, this determines where the are directed to achieve less recoil. I don't think that the porting on my 725 is anything like that, more just holes which might reduce muzzle flip but not a lot on recoil. I got into this years ago when Magna Port became popular in pistols and I can guarantee you that it works as advertised on any medium to large bore hand gun. I worry on the thinness of the shotgun barrel to make this a practical choice.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Ports also make your gun much louder. For me, I do not notice and recoil or muzzle jump differently.
I've shot a k80 that was magnaported the year after I got it. Not once in 30 years has anyone I shot with said it was loud or something was hitting them, two negatives that seem to come up on here every time this subject comes up. Maybe some of you guys need better ear plugs! Does it help muzzles rise? It depends on who you ask. I'll say one thing for sure, I hope I meet some of the haters in shootoffs if porting get in their head this bad! Lol.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The video was unwatchable with that music, why do creators think they need loud music? The shooter really exaggerated the recoil first shot from the upper barrel before the porting and I don't think he shot from the upper after, shouldn't need to do that if you believe in the product but it was not a scientific test anyway. Saying all that porting does work on a shotgun and edm is the way to do it, you can really see it shooting slugs but with trap loads the effect isn't much. I don't believe angling the ports makes a difference unless you have a much thicker barrel than a shotgun has.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Personally I like porting because it does reduce muzzle jump in my case. Of course true recoil reduction can’t happen (basic physics) but it can be redirected. I notice the advantage of porting in skeet more than trap since skeet employs doubles in every round. Far as noise; if you can’t handle the noise then you need better ear protection. Porting or not has always gone back and forth with whatever fad is in at the time.

Reactions: Buck7144

·
Registered
55 Posts
The video was unwatchable with that music, why do creators think they need loud music? The shooter really exaggerated the recoil first shot from the upper barrel before the porting and I don't think he shot from the upper after, shouldn't need to do that if you believe in the product but it was not a scientific test anyway. Saying all that porting does work on a shotgun and edm is the way to do it, you can really see it shooting slugs but with trap loads the effect isn't much. I don't believe angling the ports makes a difference unless you have a much thicker barrel than a shotgun has.
I agree 100% on the music.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts