Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I have both. My PW 800+ is electric drive, my MEC 9000 is hydraulic. Both are good machines. Neither is a good reloader for a person new to reloading.
The MEC is faster than PW if you that makes much difference to you.
The MEC is much easier to correct a jam or other problem. The PW can be pretty tricky but once you get to know the machine it is not bad.
The PW is a much more of a machine, few stamped parts, unlike the MEC. Like comparing a Win. Model 12 to a Rem. 870. Both will do the job ----
The biggest advantage to the PW 800+ is you can change to any guage, 20, 28, 410, by the purchase of the a guage change set for about $300 new, somewhat less than that used.
My 2 cents worth. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Totally 2 different machines. When I started back to reloading about 10 years ago, I bought a used MEC9000 and loaded several thousand shells with little to no problems. After loading a few hundred, my shoulders and hands hurt. I decided to get a "heavy duty machine", sold my MEC to a friend for almost what I paid and we were both happy. I did research and decided on PW800+. It took getting used to its operation. I added the hull feeder, to free up my right hand and then found a good deal on the electric motor. Again it took getting used to and making modifications to hull feeder to work better. The only thing that hurts now is my butt from sitting on my stool watching the machine spit out beautiful shells! If you have the money and are doing a lot of loading, the PW 800+ will probably outlast us both.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Owned both in the past! If I did not load 6 different powders, 5 different hull and 4 size shot, I probably would still have the 800! The bushing nightmare would drive me to more drinkning! Nice machine though! Still have the 9000, 2 grabbers and 2 650s! Tom Rhoads

·
Supporting Vendor
6,173 Posts
I load 20 & 28 gauge on a Ponsness/Warren 800 Plus with an Auto-Drive. I load my .410's on a MEC 9000. The MEC 9000 does a better job than the P/W 800 Plus on .410's. The P/W 800 Plus is a production machine requiring little effort to produce 500 shells per hour.

Reactions: Lagamor

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would not go as far to say that mecs are stamped out of junkyard scrap, but the 800+ is a superior machine in alot of respects. I load on a 9000g currently with no qualms about it,I was looking for a Pw but found a NIB 9000 for a steal. I started on a mec sizemaster and the transition to a 9000g was almost seamless...I blinked and had 100 loaded my first time with it. A pw would cause alot of cursing for someone who hasn't used them before or doesn't know someone who is knowledgeable

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If you load mostly 20 and 28. Look into purchasing 2 MEC as opposed to a PW and conversion kit. With the PW you should be loading volumes of each gauge, rather than a few hundred as you need them, since you need to convert and adjust the press.

Jason

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been loading on a PW 800B (converted to 800C) since 1974. Still works as good as new. No matter which brand of re-loader you use, you need to be somewhat mechanically inclined to keep it maintained and functioning flawlessly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One of the posts above stated you would need to adjust after gauge conversions , with an 800 plus, there will be no adjustments just change the toolhead ,wad carrier insert and shell post after the first setup when you change gauges no adjustment required. Even without much mechanical ability a gauge change is 10 or 15 min. 3 allen wrenches is all that is needed I have 2 presses on autodrives and 4 tool sets . I load all 4 gauges and all make near perfect shells between 15 000 and 20000 a year and the only thing I will say is the 410 requires a major slow down most of the time I put the handle back on for 410 . but the 12 20 and 28 are all done on the autodrive full speed no issues , that said when a problem does occur it generally a mess

1 - 20 of 27 Posts