Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to make a powder bushing larger and also make one smaller. They are not even close to dropping what they say they drop! Some are up to 2 grains short?????

Thx Bill

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hornady sells bushings by the opening size which some of are in between PW's,

Whiz White has a PW bushing hole size opening chart on his web sight

Electric tape works good to shrink down the hole

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Electrical tape teds to peel off and get stuck in the tubes because it's almost impossible to put it in without stretching it.

Get yourself a roll of aluminum foil (real aluminum, not mylar) HVAC tape and you'll be set for life; easy to cut apply and a bit less easy to remove (good thing). You can even layer it if you need to.

Here is the link to Jim White's bushing chart. Gamaliel Shooting Supply sells Hornady bushings that have a part number the same as their inside diameter. Locate the bushing on the chart that you want to go smaller than and order a few Hornady bushings to do the job.

MK

·
Registered
88 Posts
I custom fit all my bushings (for MEC). I fill the hole with bedding epoxy and drill it out with a numbered drill bit to the exact size I want it. If it drops a little light, just drill or sand out the hole a bit. You can get your weight down to the 10th real easy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bushings from MEC are never what they are supposed to be in drops. I assume that may be trus of P/W.
I use a hand reamer to fine tune an increase, and nail polish to reduce; works great.

John

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
it ain't the bushing; it's the powder. densities vary from batch to batch. that's why they don't always throw a true weight per unit volume. makes an adjustable charge bar worth its weight in gold. good luck with it

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
You CAN file out a bushing but that's iffy. If you go too far you have to find a way to replace what you took out. I don't file anyway...I use a gently-tapered reamer to remove metal a little at a time from the bottom of the bushing. I prefer to start just a bit large and reduce with HVAC tape,,,it's easily undone.

MK

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Use a larger bushing that you never use and paint it with fingernail polish,Then file it out untill you get it where you want it.Why damage a bushing?

·
Supporting Vendor
5,700 Posts
The Hornady bushings are made in .003" graduations from .414" to .474". They are made in .006" increments above and below that range. This makes it a lot easier to dial in on a specific weight.

Jim Skeel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Get a bushing that throws slightly less than you want. Use a reamer and open up the top of the bushing a little and put in press and weigh 5 cycles to get a weight. Keep taking small bites with the reamer until you get the desired drop. Get a felt pen and write the powder and drop on the bushing for further reference. Ceil

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Quartering is right. I use both red and green dot powders. Lots vary in weight. I try to purchase at least a years supply at a time. In the past, I too have had variations of 2 grains when changing lots. 40 years ago, a friend made me a set of bushings with graduated sized diameters. They work just great.

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Have your PW bushing reamed out to take MEC bushings.MEC makes a much cheaper and more commonly found bushing that PW or Hornady.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.