Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been loading on a hydraulic Mec for twenty five years and have had good success with it. I switched from manual to hydraulic after developing shoulder issues so I'm sold on powered units. I am intrigued by the Auto Drive system. Does the unit work as good as suggested? Kenny Bruggeman

·
Registered
159 Posts
Works very well. Very smooth fairly low noise level and the option to back up if need be as long as you dont back up enough to double drop shot and powder.

·
Registered
840 Posts
News to me. The AutoDrive is reliable once it's set up properly, but I wasn't aware that an AutoDrive unit could be fitted to a MEC press... or am I missing the intention to also switch to a P-W press?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
The Auto-Mate is what is used on a MEC reloader. The Autodrive sold by PW will only work on their presses and have heard can be converted to some other reloaders, not the MEC. My Autodrive on my PW works very well. I also have the hydraulic drive on my MEC 9000. It is much louder but I think is faster than the Autodrive.
regards, Bob

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Auto-Mate is what is used on a MEC reloader. The Autodrive sold by PW will only work on their presses and have heard can be converted to some other reloaders, not the MEC. My Autodrive on my PW works very well. I also have the hydraulic drive on my MEC 9000. It is much louder but I think is faster than the Autodrive.
regards, Bob
They also make the system for a Spolar.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
I love my Auto-Drive (P/W 800 Plus). I set mine up with joystick and foot controls.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I recently acquired a like new 800+ with the auto drive and a foot switch. I set up the press without the drive connected to start out just to get a feel for the press and then connected the auto drive and love it. It is quiet and can load as fast as I can feed it hulls and wads. While speed is not my goal, it could outpace me feeding it if I were to keep the throttle down. The ability to flip a switch and reverse the press in the middle of an operation is very nice for those times when you realize you didn't get a wad in the wad guide quite right or whatever.
I've loaded on MEC's, Hornady 366, and RCBS the Grand. I got rid of the MEC, the 366 and had settled on the RCBS because it won't drop shot or powder if there is not a hull in position under the drop tube. Unfortunately, RCBS does not offer any drive unit for their press so you have to pull the lever. I found my PW 800+ with the auto drive for a price I couldn't walk away from so I brought it home. It took me a while to get used to it and I've had my share of spilled shot and powder or had times where I forgot to turn the shot or powder back on after having them off but once I got used to the press I love the shells it turns out. Reloading Remington STS and Nitro's and the crimps look like factory. And the auto drive takes all the effort out of the process.
Now if I could just get PW to devise hull activated shot and powder gates it would be great!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
YES X 100
The only issue I have noticed is after several thousand shells, you should re torque the clutch bolts where the motor connects to the press. Mine backed off and I had trouble with the press not full cycling. After I figured that out, no problems

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe that those are standard features on the P-W Patriot...
MAH66, I see you are correct that the PW Patriot does have case activated shot & powder drops. That is a great feature of the RCBS and part of the reason I bought the RCBS back when I did. My PW 800+ was a like new used unit with the auto drive included for less than the cost of a new 800+ so like I said, I couldn't walk away from it. Now I may have to watch out for someone selling a Patriot on the cheap that I can attach my auto drive too!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts