Trapshooters Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've had the same problem with the shell mushrooming over the top of the shellholder at the ejection position. Using gray AA's. Any ideas on the cause?
Shell length varies more than it should. I've had that problem more with the STS hull than the AA. The knockout punch forces the extra plastic out over the mouth of the die and the shell won't eject. Doesn't happen often but a pain when it does.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Jeanie at PW said it was because of inconsistent hull lengths. I said, "Never had that problem with any other machine." No response.

Whiz says, If that happens, put a 3/8" socket on top of the mushroom and it will push it out. I cut the tops off mine and made a mess. That (shot in the primer feed) could have contributed to my problem with the primer pin.
Jeanie is right. It's a problem because there's nowhere for the excess plastic to go with the PW full length dies.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Shell length varies more than it should. I've had that problem more with the STS hull than the AA. The knockout punch forces the extra plastic out over the mouth of the die and the shell won't eject. Doesn't happen often but a pain when it does.
I wonder what sort of equipment the manufactures use to get a consistent crimp?

·
Registered
843 Posts
...I don't want to reduce the shot weight or the powder weight. I wonder if there is a better wad? I think the answer might be to put these AA hulls on the shelf until I run out of Remington Nitro's and STS.
I wonder what sort of equipment the manufactures use to get a consistent crimp?
I load on P-W presses and I can make a couple of adjustments to control the crimp depth and the size of the occasional "window" in the center of the crimp (which is ballistically less of an issue than the crimp depth).

The AA HS hulls (like other factory hulls) receive their first-ever crimp at the factory using a combination of heat and pressure. A spinning crimping tool is lowered onto the hull(s). The heat created by the spinning and the pressure created by the crimping tool softens the plastic and molds the crimp. Once the crimp cools the folds are set into the hull plastic for life. If done cold, the folds would reopen within a short time. It's tough to get one of these hulls to refold along the same creases when the plastic is stiff and cold... sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Downrange Mfg developed a couple of wads that are slightly shorter than the original AA wads/clones. They leave just enough extra space under the crimps to reduce any pressure the the component stack would place against the folds after the crimp is complete.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I load on P-W presses and I can make a couple of adjustments to control the crimp depth and the size of the occasional "window" in the center of the crimp (which is ballistically less of an issue than the crimp depth). The AA HS hulls (like other factory hulls) receive their first-ever crimp at the factory using a combination of heat and pressure. The virgin hull is spinning as the crimping tool is lowered down onto it. The heat created by the spinning and the pressure created by the crimping tool softens the plastic and molds the crimp. Once the crimp cools the folds are set into the plastic for life. If done cold, the folds would reopen within a short time. It's tough to get one of these hulls to refold along the same creases when the plastic is stiff and cold... sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Downrange Mfg developed a couple of wads that are slightly shorter than the original AA wads/clones. They leave just enough extra space under the crimps to reduce any pressure the the component stack would place against the folds after the crimp is complete.

Great information. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive had the same thing happen not sure of the problem either. have to cut with a knife to get them out... messy option but is a pain...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I and pretty much everyone I know that loads AAs have the same problem, although my crimps aren't quite as bad as yours. A lot of people use the WAA12 (the wad made for 1 1/8 oz) to help the stack height. Just like they use the WAA12SL when making 7/8 oz loads rather than using the WAA12L. This guy makes a hull trimmer to improve the crimps. (Made? They have been listed as out of stock for months.) Also, if your crimps are too deep you can adjust the crimp cam.

View attachment 1725992

I will get one of those if he ever gets them back in production. I have a ton of AA hulls I would like to load someday.

I am going to stick to Remington until then. They load so nicely. This is the 5th reload on this batch.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts