Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the poly choke company still in business? I did search the Internet and could only find blogs and shotgun forums regarding the company.

I have a couple poly – choke ribs that I had mounted on two Remington 1100 barrels back in the mid-80s. They were basically epoxied to the top of the existing rib. I never had any problems with them coming off but I did remove them when I traded the gun.

Back in 2017 I moved to a new home and of course I brought them along. I’ve been going through a lot of my shooting items and came across these two ribs.

I was hoping the company was still in business so I could get an idea what they were selling for today. Both are made of aluminum. One is 27 1/4 inches long and was mounted on a 30 inch trap barrel. The other is 23 3/4 inches long and was mounted on a 28 inch barrel. I’m not sure what I want to do with them at this point. Thanks in advance,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Since I am ignorant on the issue forgive me if this is a stupid question. What makes those rubs specific to a poly choke?
Curious because I have an old Sears & Roebuck shotgun with a poly choke and it has a typical vent rib

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
If those are black aluminum ribs with a serrated top, I had one. They were pretty cheap, around $25 as I recall.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I bought mine from a company that was selling fiberoptic front sights that blocked the off-eye. I don't remember the name. They weren't installed. This was in the 70's.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I am ignorant on the issue forgive me if this is a stupid question. What makes those rubs specific to a poly choke?
Curious because I have an old Sears & Roebuck shotgun with a poly choke and it has a typical vent rib
The poly-choke company at one time also installed vent ribs. It was mostly geared toward shotgun barrels that were not ribbed. The bottom of the rib was milled out perfectly to the shape of the barrel and then installed. In my situation mine was attached to the top of an existing rib creating a high rib affect.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have a poly-choke rib on my Ruger Super Blackhawk it was cheap when I bought it,I heard awhile back they were no longer in business not for sure.I may be interested in these give me a price,Thank You.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Numrich Arms bought out Polychoke ribs they have them on their web. They have steel and aluminum ribs, some are silver sodder on and some use 3M two way tape. Cost for the aluminum are $9.50

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
The rib I had was black anodized aluminum with a serrated top. It was about 24" long and attached with double stick tape. It was sold by EasyHit who made front sights on a tube to avoid cross dominance. Tom Knapp was a spokesman for the company. The ribs were very cheap, around $25-$30 as I recall. I had a couple of them around 1975.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Numich Arms has the ribs. A very good company to deal with. The ribs are steel in the white with evenly spaced lightening openings. Can be attached with mounting tape or silicone seal.
$11.50.
Dimensions are 28 1/4" X 5/16" wide X 3/8" high.
5/16" is the width of a Remington 870 or 1100 rib.
Perfect for Competion trap. Raising comb 3/8", the maximum with the Competition stock, keeps the same POI.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ok forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question. Could one of the 2 side tape attach ribs be installed onto a gun without a rib?
I have a M12 that's a plain barrel and would be interested in adding an inexpensive rib.
I briefly looked at Simmons, but I kinda like the idea of being able to remove it and put the gun back to original should I choose to do so
Plus, Simmons would reblue the whole gun. I want to keep it original too

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is how you do it, use 3M automotive attachment tape size 1/4. if you want to remove it you can use fishing line and use it like a saw. Look at Numrich web steel and aluminum, the ones I have are $9.50 not $125.00

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
That is how you do it, use 3M automotive attachment tape size 1/4. if you want to remove it you can use fishing line and use it like a saw. Look at Numrich web steel and aluminum, the ones I have are $9.50 not $125.00
The above post is referring to adding to an existing rib, not a plain barrel.
The directions for removing the rib are wrong. This is how you do it. Twist the rib sideways. It will pull away from the tape. Pinch one end of the tape and pull it. It will come off the rib in one continuous strip. The ribs are now $11.50 at Numich Arms.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've done a few on plain barrels. Never a problem. Buy 3M brand not the dollar store stuff. It holds auto moldings on in extreme heat and cold and easily removable.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The bottom of the ribs from Numrich are curved and 3M tape use 1/2 inch and trim with razerblade, will hold if put on an oil free clean rib and barrel.

I have installed two one on a friends plain barrel M12 and one on a Stevens 410 pump, got one on the 410 not straight enough for me and took alot of work with heat, fishing line, goo-gone and alcohol (not drinking either) to get it off to reset.

It will hold as well as an add on rib does, done both several times.

Both ribs from Numrich were not straight and took more time to straighten than install.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts