Trapshooters Forum banner

What do you as a shooter prefer for voice release?

• Wired

• Wireless

• indifferent, I find equal success with either

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read tons of different comments regarding voice release.....not to sway any votes so I will NOT comment. BUT, if you are a club worker or board member I do NOT want you to vote. I strictly want the opinion of the SHOOTERS.

What do you prefer? Wired or wireless? Use the poll please.

CANTEBURY BRAND FOR BOTH

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I prefer wireless but if a club is not competition oriented and more of a fun shoot place where people talk while shooting then a wired/puller operated unit saves a lot of wasted birds. A buddy who managed a club with night shooting told me that the targets were costing about .10 each and that was over 5 years ago.

·
Registered
13,154 Posts
They both have their benefits AND failures!

Call bird, see bird, shoot at bird

VS

Call bird, call bird, CALL bird, STOP regain composure, Call bird, see bird, shoot at bird.

Happens with both wireless and manual push the button models!! ONE, you can at least go and slap them silly!!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
wireless, but agree with Timberfaller have seen both wire and wireless not listen to you. And the kid pushing the button, all you have to do is give them the "LOOK" when they are caught daydreaming! Steve

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
He's not talking about push button vs.voice release. The wired Canterbury has wires going from the speakers to the trap. The wireless has transmitter in the speaker and a receiver at the trap. The wired systems are more trouble to move around, put up and take down, and the wires and connectors get damaged. I've never used the Canterbury wireless so I don't know if the transmission doesn't always work every time, but loose connectors and broken wires cause failures with the wired ststem. Yes, the ERAD wireless is the best, but it requires someone on each field to keep track of the small card-size units, make sure they're turned on, right frequency, and that shooters don't forget they're wearing one, and walk away with it -which I've done myself many times.

·
Registered
337 Posts
They both seem to work the same the wireless is easier when you wanna change yardage and there's not a mess of wires across the pad just cleaner

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
They both seem to work the same the wireless is easier when you wanna change yardage and there's not a mess of wires across the pad just cleaner
ERAD, no stands to move-makes handicap a breeze when changing stations; also, if a shooter buys their own transmitter ,it can be programmed for all the clubs & fields they shoot at;furthermore the speed of the call & the sensitivity of the transmitter is adjustable

Finally , storage with ERADS is a no brainer

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Love ERAD. Takes a bit of management to make sure someone doesn't walk off with a card, but not a deal breaker.

If your just talking wired or not, go with NOT wired.

No pulled or loose wires.

Easier to move the stands during handicap (no tangles wires or wires on the station) and great for the person opening and closing the club.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Never have shot on a wireless system, the wired works better than a person doing the pulling in most cases.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Only experiences I've had with cordless have been problematic...mostly failure to function issues (Canterbury and Outer's). But I've shot over wired Canterbury's that gave up the ghost too. They're all great when they work.

Ron Burr

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
I've only shot over Canterbury wireless and have had both good and bad experiences. Seems like fresh batteries are a must for those. Poorly maintained wired can be just as much of a headache. Overall, though, better than spotty service from manual pulling.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
They both have their benefits AND failures!

Call bird, see bird, shoot at bird

VS

Call bird, call bird, CALL bird, STOP regain composure, Call bird, see bird, shoot at bird.

Happens with both wireless and manual push the button models!! ONE, you can at least go and slap them silly!!

At least with the wired there are no batteries to replace.

·
Registered
474 Posts
We have pretty good luck with the wireless Catebury. Most issues are with the controller when it gets dropped and bends the battery tabs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts