Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the results of the poll conducted here recently about the ages of club.league officers.

To make the chart more representative of the age groups, the groups on the poll which covered a 15 year span were averaged out in five year groups and graphed as such. The odd number of a split was given to the older portion of that group since it is obvious that there is a preponderance of older people manning the club offices.

It is very obvious that the older folks are definitely pulling the heavier share of the officer and the youngest, those under 30, are not pulling very much at all as far as being an officer goes. That does not mean that they are not working at the club but they may be doing a fair amount of the physical labor involved in running a club but not holding a leadership position. My concern is that those in the upper three groups are, by actuarial tables, much more likely to drop out in the next ten years and since they outnumber the closet lower age groups by a 2:1 ratio, will the younger groups be willing and able to pick up the load?
Age Chart.jpg

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I'm guessing that the 46-60 group is much more weighted toward the 60 end, not equally distributed, which just makes the situation more top heavy. Most people on our board are retired. They have the time to commit. It's just like trying to retain youth shooters. For everything there is a season.

·
Registered
29,248 Posts
"It is very obvious that the older folks are definitely pulling the heavier share of the officer and the youngest, those under 30, are not pulling very much at all as far as being an officer goes"

How can you say that? How did you know there is not a bias against voting for young people to hold office? Would you vote for a 18 year old person to be President of your club, or would you look more foe experience and maturity? I know I would.

·
Registered
29,248 Posts
I have a better question, what are the age group of gun club members? I never joined one until after I reached the age of 30. Right now my club has a waiting period of 3 years. To a 18 year old that is 1/6th of his life on earth?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"It is very obvious that the older folks are definitely pulling the heavier share of the officer and the youngest, those under 30, are not pulling very much at all as far as being an officer goes"

How can you say that? How did you know there is not a bias against voting for young people to hold office? Would vote for a 18 year old person to be President of your club, or would you look more foe experience and maturity? I know I would.
Did you happen to notice that the raw data for that group runs to age 30? At age 30 a person could run for , and be elected, to the U.S. Senate and at 25 could be elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. Since there were ZERO responses up to age 30, your comment about 18 year olds should be amended to go up to 30 year year olds. Oh and the question was not only for President but Officers. That could very easily include Treasurers, Secretary, or Board where computer expertise, which is more common among the younger age groups, would be very relevant to the operations of the club. Even if there is a bias against people up to age 30, the younger members of a club, those under age 30 presuming they were actively interested in the club, could still vote for someone in the 18-30 bracket but it would not appear that this age bracket is very active in club leadership at all.

·
Registered
29,248 Posts
I understand the running for officers vs President, I was being rhetorical, but for any such study to have weight it should be base of a study of around 1000 membership with a breakdown of not only the age of the officers, but the age of the membership. It should be broken down by age group then average age of both membership and officers. What I have observed in many organizations including and outside gun clubs, office holding is political and clique driven, driven by the most oldest members.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
We all know clubs are mainly run by +65. I have noticed at shoots there are a lot of 60 + and a healthily population of under 20 and not many 25-45.

Drawing on my own experience under the age of 22 I had enough money for gas, beer, and ammo and had no other responsibility.
25-35 working my @SS off scraping by making mortgage payments and buying diapers. You can't a officer when you don't have the time or means to be a member of a club.
At age 40 you rejoin a club because and then it takes 10 years to prove your not a left wing commie pinko and you know what end of a gun to hold, because you have only been a club member for 18 months.

I'm sure many will say I am wrong and the 30-50 are just lazy but that is a true account life. The sad part is my age demographic is full of a bunch of Iphone wimps and I fear many gun clubs will disappear in the next 20 years. Just look at hunt license sales, each year a steady decline as the suburbs expand, the libs further their agenda.

Reactions: WadHopper
1 - 11 of 11 Posts