Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for K-80 Owners:

Have any of you attempted to use metal polish to give a nickel K-80 receiver a hand shine?
Specifically a standard grade receiver.

My concern is the polish could erode the nickel.

Wanted some feedback before I attempt it.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I gave mine a good polish a few weeks after it was re- done by Krieghoff and never concerned myself about it doing damage. I'm sure most polish states on the container what it is meant for. It has been over two years and it has remained quite nice, and I re-do it about every six months. I am more than happy with the results that Krieghoff did with the receiver. If you have any concerns -- I totally agree with Jim. Make a phone call and ease your mind. Regards ES

·
Registered
251 Posts
The only glare that I get, is off of the rear of the barrel where the black rib slants down. Other then that, and only in certain lighting situations, the receiver does not cause me any problem. Not even the top latch. Although others may experience different glare problems. My thought process was that the polish would more so protect the finish vs diminish it. Regards ES

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I for one never cared for the car bumper look of polished nickel or stainless steel on guns. I know it's somewhat popular on Smith & Wesson revolvers but for me, it's a turn-off. I bought - for a really low price - an otherwise nice no-dash S&W Model 67 that had been polished and had my gunsmith restore its factory brushed stainless finish.

Ed

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Question for K-80 Owners:

Have any of you attempted to use metal polish to give a nickel K-80 receiver a hand shine?
Specifically a standard grade receiver.

My concern is the polish could erode the nickel.

Wanted some feedback before I attempt it.
Thoughts?
Might try silver polish. I have 2 silver plated Perazzis. As for glare i painted the top of the receiver on my sporting one with flat black engine paint. easy to remove if you want. had a terrible glare problem on south presentations. gud luk.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you want a mirror inches from your eyes when you shoot?
Only if I look pretty in it.

But in all seriousness, my new concern is the clear coat on my stock & forend.
Doubt I'll go crazy with it should I decide to use some.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Krieghoff recommends a product called NEVR DULL, available from Amazon. I was told Walmart had it also, but I couldn't find it. I used it on the silvered receiver on my 687, and it works wonderfully. I recommend what Krieghoff told me to use. It works!!!

·
Registered
16,154 Posts
BADD5254-0061-4843-8092-2EB660B46981.jpeg

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The only glare that I get, is off of the rear of the barrel where the black rib slants down. Other then that, and only in certain lighting situations, the receiver does not cause me any problem. Not even the top latch. Although others may experience different glare problems. My thought process was that the polish would more so protect the finish vs diminish it. Regards ES
Most polishes are abrasive, that is why they remove the dull existing finish . After you polish metal, you have zero surface protection.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nickel is not like stainless or aluminum which need a protective oxide layer. When you polish, you aren’t going very deep at all on Nickel. You will not damage your nickel or reduce its durability by giving it a mirror polish.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
the metal has to be perfect for this because any little pit or imperfection will be magnified.

better to go the other direction.. any little abrasions can be very carefully glass beaded at low pressure.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,086 Posts
B38A12B3-7902-4B4E-89E5-4724DB803856.jpeg
Flitz. Non-abrasive. Polish and protects the finish. That’s all I ever used. However last year I did try Renaissance wax. It works very well too. Still prefer Flitz. Made in Germany.
82C662D6-95C6-48C6-970C-C72A8061B22C.jpeg
91E41663-8219-471D-AA21-6F0365C0EE26.jpeg

·
Registered
945 Posts
A friend of mine owns a Transmission shop in SJ and put a High Polish on his K80 using ? and a buffing wheel looks like a Proof coin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts