Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your opinions of polarized lenses? I have no problems at the 16,but at the 27 I get a lot of glare on fields that have a solid concrete slab covering all stations and yardages.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Until a few weeks ago I always used "official" shooting glasses - the better ones with interchangeable lenses. L&M offers an excellent product (All American) and their service has been great. One Saturday I had left my shooting glasses on the workbench and ended up using the polarized glasses I use for driving and reading in the sun (they are "readers"). I noticed distinctly better clarity and less glare - though too dark for dusk or darkness. I haven't used the All Americans since.

L&M offers a number of shades in polarized. I might order a couple when I send my frames in for adjustment. They list 10 colors on their website (http://lmlenses.com/lens-color-chart/).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Polarized glasses are darker than their counterparts. If a cloud comes overhead, you might regret the choice.

Reactions: DIXIE SPECIAL 25

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know everyone's eyes are different and accept light different. The copper polarized actually takes the glare away without making it too dark. Kinda hard to explain. Ranger salesman will let you try looking through a pair before purchasing. At least two have done that for me. Can't speak for all.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
If you have sensitive eyes to the light, they will work for you!!! I too have problems with glare, and use Polarized lenes when needed. They work!!! Period!!! I have other lenes for days where the light is not as bright, and they are not needed. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
224 Posts
Actually with polarized lenses you can go lighter because the lenses knock down the glare.

Choose your color based on targets but you can go with a lighter shade when wearing polarized.

Be forewarned, not all polarized lenses are the same. el cheapo's are just that and cut little or no glare. Spend a few bucks on a reputable company that makes polarized lenses.

Ray-ban, Oakely are two that make fantastic polarized lenses.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
I use designated shooting glasses for all my shootings, shotgun, rifle, and pistol until one day I forgot to take my shooting glasses from pistol shooting bag to shotgun shooting bag, I end up shooting with a pair of polarized Ray-Ban sunglasses from my car, it's a wake up call for me.

Now I only use non-polarized shooting glasses for indoor shooting only.

I would not make any comments about lenses colors, it's meaningless, my eyes see color and light different from yours.
Those popular Rose or Purple lenses doesn't do me any good no matter what light we have in the day.

·
Premium Member
10,550 Posts
Tried them with a light coat of vermillion and found that they helped the target "hide" in clouds. Only used them once and they became "driving" glasses.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I am not certain what "glare" is on a trapfield that can be fixed by polarized lenses as there is very little for sunlight to reflect off. Perhaps people have a misconception of what polarized lenses do. Sunlight itself is not actually polarized, however it has horizontal and vertical polarized components. More of horizontal component will be reflected (off water for example) so if you polarize your lenses vertically, much of the reflected horizontal light will be blocked. So that is what polarized lenses actually do. They will block the horizontal component of light. That is why they are darker - they block a lot of light. But I still want to know what is on a trapfield that reflects light and causes additional horizontal light.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Perhaps GLARE isn't the most correct word. I've had cataract surgery at a time before implanted lenses. As a result I have worn hard contacts for over 30 years. They are exceptionally clear and transmit a lot of light to my retina. I wear polarized sunglasses even on cloudy days. Like Gary suggested, I never thought of glare on the trap field until that day when I had to wear polarized sunglasses because my shooting glasses were at home. I noticed a dramatic improvement in clarity and definition on all birds, whether against grass, trees, or blue sky. I noticed the same improvement when dusk approached. As it got darker, though, the glasses became noticeably less helpful and I stopped shooting for the day.

Rather than glare, maybe I'm experiencing better vision on the trap field because general benefits from removing much of the horizontal light rays. WHatever the reason, I'm happy with the dark polarized sunglasses.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I picked up a set of polarized at Cardinal last week. AMAZING !! Eyes were immediately more relaxed and noticeably minimal glare.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Glad they helped you out!!!!!! Mine work for me as well. One thing none of us mentioned here is that the eye itself will only allow so much light into it at any given time. Our pupils open and close accordingly to what the eye wants and will limit the amount of light into it. By using too dark of a lens, the pupil will just open more, and if the lens is too light, the pupil will just close more. So we are just fooling ourselves to a point about picking lighter and darker lenses. Its the color of the lens that changes the "Contrast" of the background, that helps us see the targets better??? or worse??? The eye itself will regulate the correct amount of light into it. A all black target on a all white background is the biggest Contrast I can think of. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's interesting is the lenses are what I would call a medium vermilion color and I see a vibrant yellow in trees or sky and another shooter sees a white target. Just proves not to ask another shooter what color to use!

·
Registered
149 Posts
It depends on your eyes and their sensitivity to light. Like the fellow above that had cataract surgery, I had mine too and have multi-focal lens implants. Everything is so bright I wear sunglasses all day when outside, even in dim conditions. I bought the best polarized glasses Costa Delmar had to offer. I see the bird as a bright orange glow as if it had lights surrounding it. I have tried the orange and purple shooting glasses, but with my new eyes, they distract me more than help. Just my experience to share. I think you guys out there who have had cataract surgery of late, will know what I mean by bright orange targets still seen through dark glasses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts