Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
5,232 Posts
Wayne Morgan set me up with his Hi-Contrast Brown polarized lens... enhances red and allows my eyes to relax... good hunting lens afield and over snow...

Jay

·
Registered
616 Posts
A polar lens has a filter impregnated. Much like looking through window blinds. Restricts periphery vision and narrows the correction optic. Although you only see clearly in the center of the prism with polar or unfiltered. Designed to take reflections off of what your looking at. Example, water or windshield. Targets tend not to reflect bright reflections.

Shooters get more negitive reflections off of the lenses, both front anf back. There are lens treatments that address these issues. Example ZiessAR and ZeroAR are gas treatments that coat the entire lens. Hardens the surface making it more scratch resistant and makes the lenses easier to keep clean. Filters both UV's and in some lenses, blue block. Tends to clear polycarb and make Cr-39 more shatter resistant. There are spray or dip AR's available also, but not as effective or lasting. It is hard to gas coat any lens that been surface tinted. The lens prep has one of two cleaning that is aggressive in preperation for the gas and will scrub the tint 15 to 25%... may also splotch. We get too many rejects and remakes when we gas coat tinted lenses. Coating a permatint lens never fails. Any company the provides Vison Dynamics PermaTint lenses will never have an issue adding coatings. The colors are impregnated and the lens surface can be coated and or digital cut if the optical lab has the equipment to provide this option.

I cut polar lenses by request, but advise the client for them to make an informed decision. Polar filter adds about $100.00 to the cost. The same for transitional. All coating accept spray scratch also add to the price.

Maltz

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
I've had several with different color coatings. I find that they cut my acuity except in extreme bright conditions. They are the best thing for resting your eyes, which may not be the best thing for clay target shooting unless you are squinting just to get through the event.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I've tried shooting with 2 different pairs of polarized lenses. I can't! They work great on the water or when it is bright and there is snow on the ground.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Can't muskie fish without them! You can see the shadows lurking below the surface on your figure-8.

Also lake wearing a dark pair at Summerfest, State Fair and Bradford Beach so my wife cannot see where my eyes are staring.

Shooting.... Not so much.

SW

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Winter snow and bright sun were a real problem for me till I bought a pair of 5 dollar Berkely polarized fishing glasses. Presto, better vision than before. I don't know if my cataract operation was a factor but results are better than excuses. If you have a glare problem in the snow go to WM and try them.

If no sun, however I revert to normal shooting glasses.

HM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts