Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yellow Lab points birds not the stylish point of a Pointer but when she finds a bird she points it before flushing. Could they have crossed breeds to get labs to point?

·
Supporting Vendor
9,948 Posts
Kitty says that you bought yourself a Mutt.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tronspace/media/DSCN0997.jpg.html" target="_blank">
DSCN0997.jpg
</a>

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Yes there some bred for that. I had red (foxy) Lab was a great pointer and one on the best family dogs I ever had. She met an untimely demise.

Don

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having had 4 other labs over the last 35 years none that pointed I wonder if there are breeders cross breeding with pointing breeds?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I believe the breeder's name was Mayo Kellog that used to breed labs for the pointing characteristics. He was located somewhere out west. A friend had one of his dogs and she would point regularly. I haven't heard about them for some time.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My big fella Luka Brasi,a yellow lab, would point a bird if it sat tight for him
Miss that old boy terribly. Bill

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The proper protocol for a flushing dog is to "hup" (sit) when making bird contact and then to flush when commaded to do so. The point would seem to be merely a substitute for "hup".

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
It's a natural instinct. Accentuating that trait is desirable for many hunting situations.

Now someone tell me how to stop the dog from crunching up the birds.

HM

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I had a Beagle that would point birds with the best of em. Where she learned that I have no idea. Best dog ever. She would chase rabbits and point birds better than my cousin's prized super high dollar Pointers. We went hunting one day and the Beagle pointed more birds than his dogs and she also chased a couple of rabbits back to us. He never invited us to hunt with him again. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts