Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Why do you want to know your POI (point of impact)? POI defines two things, where the gun shoots and more importantly, where you shoot the gun.

Targets are usually broken at about 34 yards from each station. The easiest way to learn where your gun shoots is to set up a piece of paper 13 yards from where you are shooting using a solid gun rest. Then yo fire the gun like you were shooting a target gun, squeezing off each shot.

Your eye should be aligned with the rib exactly as it would be when you fire at moving target. To make this the same when shooting at the fixed target (a large black dot on the POI paper) you should shoot with your head in a NATURALLY erect posture and not leaned forward with your head pulled back, (Your Graco should be used to achieve a naturally erect head and neck posture and the adjustable comb to adjusted to make a figure-8 bead alignment.)

Put the front bead on the bottom of the 3" diameter or so black dot and fire. Then measure the distance from the center of the small pattern (13 yards) and multiply by 2,6 to find the POI at the target breaking distance.

You now have the gun's POI and with luck, where you will put the pattern at about 34 yards, where most targets are broken,

Rollin

·
Registered
583 Posts
Your point of impact on paper is only important on a new gun if you are comparing it to a gun you have been successful with.Shoot the gun at targets first,otherwise you are going to force yourself to learn how to shoot a gun based on paper.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Your point of impact on paper is only important on a new gun if you are comparing it to a gun you have been successful with.Shoot the gun at targets first,otherwise you are going to force yourself to learn how to shoot a gun based on paper.
I don't agree. If I have a new gun, new stock, new barrel or have modified anything at all, I go to the pattern board and see if my gun is shooting perfect vertically and somewhere around 70/30-80/20 on my trap gun and 50/50-55/45 on my skeet. I then shoot rounds and fine tune until I like the way the targets break with my timing. I don't worry about the final adjustments being 70/30, 80/20, or 90/10 and I don't care if I see rib or no rib. I only care about the timing and break. (Just my way).
Edit: I pattern at 30 yards for trap and 20 yards for skeet. (Works for me}.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm confused. Rollin seemed to give POA, not POI. Rollins method may get you in the ball park, but doing as the other guys suggested will show you what you want to know. Shooting a moving target with a moving gun is different that bench resting and aiming it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm confused. Rollin seemed to give POA, not POI. Rollins method may get you in the ball park, but doing as the other guys suggested will show you what you want to know. Shooting a moving target with a moving gun is different that bench resting and aiming it.
That is definitely true but if you are using proper technique at a moving target with a gun that shoots where you are looking you will smoke the target. POI on paper isn’t the end all by any means but in my opinion is a good starting point in the tuning process. You won’t break targets if the gun isn’t shooting where you are looking. I will agree it shouldn’t be bench rested but mounted as you would when shooting trap and shot off hand at close distance such as 13 yards. This should be done multiple times so you can see trends in how it shoots not what might be caused by a flinch in one shot. Then as others have suggested shoot straight aways until you are smoking them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Rollin's method is right on.. That will give you and accurate POI. But the next step is to shoot at targets using the sight picture that you prefer and adjust that POT until you can smoke all targets . Some one suggested using post three and and setting straight away targets , not a bad idea.

·
Registered
922 Posts
All I will say is bench resting a shotgun and shooting it on paper only tells you what's happening then, not when you're swinging a gun on a moving target. I would concede it's a starting point, but that's about all. With a new gun I just stop the trap from moving and shoot straight aways. That'll tell you all you need to know. The rest is timing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I find this extremely difficult todo. When we sit at a bench we hold the gun way different then we would if we were shooting a bird. Maybe it doesn't matter for poi, but the only time I shoot at paper or a splatter board is when I'm checking a new load recipe for holes in the pattern. Otherwise it's straightaway targets to see how I shoot. Never really cared to see where the gun shoots on paper. I could stack beads perfectly on paper but when I get to the line I don't do what I did on the bench that's for sure. I miss everytime I bead check. Everytime. See the bird shoot the bird.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
IMHO, the purpose of the bench rest at 13 yards is ensure we know where the shotgun shoots (POI) and not how good of a shooter you are.

We have found varying discrepancies in barrels shooting off center in either direction, including different POI between upper and lower barrels in and over under. The bench will minimize any human variables. This will establish a benchmark from which you can rely.

After this is established, use any shooting method, mount for which you are comfortable and dial it in to your personal shooting preference for (POI). A number of methods have been listed in the past; locked trap on straightaway targets etc.

Once completed, record your POI for future reference. When you acquire your next shotgun you will be able to duplicate your original configuration and tuned to your style.

Cheers, Dusty

·
Registered
487 Posts
Rollin's method is right on.. That will give you and accurate POI. But the next step is to shoot at targets using the sight picture that you prefer and adjust that POT until you can smoke all targets . Some one suggested using post three and and setting straight away targets , not a bad idea.
Neil Winston spelled it all out just like Rollin .
N J Bob has been shooting Trap a long time .
The choice is yours either do it or try another way .
Soup

·
Registered
25,677 Posts
Do those of you who pattern all your guns, barrels, and chokes extensively feel this has really helped your scores? Has anyone ever found the gun they shoot the best to pattern poorly?
Think carefully about your last sentence.

·
Registered
25,677 Posts
I like to ask the real questions haha we all have that favorite gun we can’t explain why we’re good with
But your question was a contradiction. If it is the gun you shoot the best then it must have a good pattern.

Reactions: phatkaw
1 - 20 of 30 Posts