Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not 13, 35, or 40 yds..Its 19 yards where I could only set up quickly..One once of 7.5 shot..This is two different guns. I pulled one as you can see to the left..Knew I did it..Not a stable rest..Now what is your opinion on POI percentage. Holding figure 8 in center of black dot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Until you shoot it from a solid rest your pretty much wasting time and shells there’s no way you can hold it steady enough to get an accurate result.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
POI cannot be higher than 100%, as expressed by a percentage. Once all the shot is over the POA, all the shot is over the POA. Whether it is 1" or one yard above is irrelevant to the percentage. After 100% POI is achieved, a different measure than percentage must be used.

In the first pic, there is one pellet below the aiming dot, so not 100%. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
107.5%

So you have a percentage, what does that tell you?
How are you going to use that?
Well, When I shoot patterns at 40 yds I try to obtain 100 percent. I shoot pretty quick and like the higher poi..I had no idea how to calculate from what I did this afternoon as I've not shot either one of these guns at a clay target yet..was attempting to set rib and comb to achieve that before going to a range..

·
Registered
830 Posts
One pellet below the dot doesn't mean anything. Could it not be just a flyer ? Besides, it's 2/3 of the way down along side the dot, not below it. It seems like you already know they both shoot high. Now you just have to fine tune them if you feel it's necessary. hbar314 - I like your reply - 107.5 - apparently entropy doesn't have much of a sense of humor.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,124 Posts
POI cannot be higher than 100%, as expressed by a percentage. Once all the shot is over the POA, all the shot is over the POA. Whether it is 1" or one yard above is irrelevant to the percentage. After 100% POI is achieved, a different measure than percentage must be used.

I agree 110%

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Well, When I shoot patterns at 40 yds I try to obtain 100 percent. I shoot pretty quick and like the higher poi..I had no idea how to calculate from what I did this afternoon as I've not shot either one of these guns at a clay target yet..was attempting to set rib and comb to achieve that before going to a range..
Just get close on the board. Typically different guns will shoot different places for you. Stand on post 3 and shoot targets. Add 1/16 washers until the smoke goes away then come down until you are back into the smoke.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I asking cause I dont know..From shooting rifles I know line of trajectory doubles duplicating distance knowing it drops as it goes too...Curious as to what percent you think it would be at 40 yards since I don't have that distance handy..I assume if manufacturer says their guns POI is 80/20 or if they say 60 to 120 percent they are speaking of 40 yards with a fig 8 sight picture..Thanks for opinions

·
Registered
408 Posts

How is POINT of Impact a percentage of anything? ...Please explain.

I agree no more than 100% of the pellets can be above the POA, but how does that define POI ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How is POINT of Impact a percentage of anything? ...Please explain.

I agree no more than 100% of the pellets can be above the POA, but how does that define POI ?
Maybe wording is everything so possibly pattern is 10 percent above poa..Just thinking

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
I asking cause I dont know..From shooting rifles I know line of trajectory doubles duplicating distance knowing it drops as it goes too...Curious as to what percent you think it would be at 40 yards since I don't have that distance handy..I assume if manufacturer says their guns POI is 80/20 or if they say 60 to 120 percent they are speaking of 40 yards with a fig 8 sight picture..Thanks for opinions
Would you consider finding the center of the pattern and measuring the distance from the point of aim up to the point of inpact?
They say the shot pattern drops 4" at 40 yards. 3 inches of it if from 30 to 40 or in the last 10 yards as it loses velocity.
Henry

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok I don't know who is joking, who really doesn't understand.
Most shotgun patterns are based off a 30" inch (full choke) pattern (circle) at 35 to 40 yards. So if the center of your pattern is 15" above what your aiming at that would be 100% high. If the center of your pattern is 18" high that would be 110% high and so on for every 3".
You don't count flyer pellets, 90% of your pellets make up your pattern. Bowen claimed 95% pellets in the pattern and he had exceptional barrels (I have patterned several).
POI on pattern board is just to get you close to what you comfortable with so have starting point when trying a different gun. You fine tune from there to get the best break.
Lock time (trigger speed) also effects the POI you might like.
If you have been shooting a model 12 with a slow trigger at 80/20 pattern and you decide to try a Seitz/Bowen you will probably find you need a 100% high shooting gun to make up the difference in lock time. The same applies when going from a pull trigger to a release trigger, the release is usually quite a bit quicker.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
The POA/POI ratio is the amount of shot above/below the aiming point. You cannot place more than 100% of the shot from a given shell anywhere, as 100% is the maximum about available.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts