Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about all the talk on adjustable "point of impact" and the
seemingly endless array of new technology on newer trap guns that suggests that
one can simply raise or lower where they deliver the shot by moving the rib and the comb up or down with no thought on how these adjustments will change the "sight picture" I might be missing something here but the way I look at this is...If ones preferred "sight picture" is the standard figure 8 with the beads
tightly stacked and the barrel is "straight" and the "eye" as the rear sight is looking right down the rib in this fashion then logic dictates the shot pattern will be somewhere in the 60/40 or even 50/50 POI area at 40yrds on paper, which is about 0 to 3 inches high if the gun is shot from a cradle or vise. Unless a shooter prefers to see 1/2" to 3/4" of space between the beads with a higher comb setting and does not need to see a figure 8 bead pattern, I really don't see how one can "raise" his point of impact while keeping the same stacked figure 8 bead config' without either "bending" the barrel up and re-positioning the beads to "fool" the eyes or installing something like Brileys eccentric chokes which bend the shot patter up a few inches with an off center choke tube. My gun shoots "flat", around 60/40 because my sight preference is a tight fig 8 bead/sight picture and any space between the beads makes me shoot UNDER the target because one tends to STOP moving the gun if the picture looks wrong.
I'm not a new shooter but I have not shot ATA since about 1990? maybe 1989? so I'm out of the loop lately on this new technology!!...My last ATA averages were about 99.5 for a few thousand singles, 94.0 for approx 3000 27 yrd handicap targets, and if I remember?, around a 96.0 ave on a bunch of doubles....The ONLY reason I state this this is so I'm not mistaken for a newbie, just a curious "maybe want to shoot again" slightly bored ex shooter who is behind the times on this stuff!!..lol.....Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
If you sold your old gun, I would do an exhaustive search to find it. If you didn't sell it, don't change a thing and start up again.

·
Vendor
19,403 Posts
I kinda doubt anyone was shooting/averaging those numbers in 88/89. But obviously he is from Ohio and as we know, anything is possible in Ohio

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I have a bt99 ar with an adjustable rib and comb. I can adjust it from 90/10 to 50/50 and still keep the figure 8 sight picture. The rib is adjustable front and rear. Bill

·
Registered
348 Posts
The combo of the adjustable rib and comb allow you to raise or lower your POI and KEEP your preferred bead alignment. That was the most interesting question I have seen here in quite some time….

Ahem…

Art

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Slayer is saying it right, whatever height you want the gun to shoot always adjust your rib and comb for the same sight picture.

I tightly stack the with the rib shooting 20 inches high.

Gary Bryant

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
“If ones preferred "sight picture" is the standard figure 8 . . . and the "eye" as the rear sight is looking right down the rib in this fashion, then logic dictates the shot pattern will be somewhere in the 60/40 or even 50/50 POI area at 40 yards on paper”.

Correct in some cases, but incorrect in many others. You are neglecting to factor in the slope of the rib. If a gun’s rib has a lot of slope downward (i.e., rib is lower at the muzzle end), then a Figure-8 sight picture with such a rib will likely produce a fairly high POI for most shooters. In fact, that’s the whole idea when a manufacturer designs a Trap gun with a sloping rib.

Figure-8 sight picture with a flat (non-sloping rib) will likely produce the fairly flat (50/50 or 60/40) POI for most shooters, just as you said. Figure-8 sight picture with a sloping rib will likely produce a much higher POI for most shooters. Same sight picture, but different POI, due simply to rib geometry, and the resultant Line of Sight angle.

Quote:
“I really don't see how one can "raise" his point of impact while keeping the same stacked figure 8 bead configuration”.

You’re correct if the shooter is attempting to raise POI only by moving his eye higher (by raising an adjustable comb or building up the existing comb with padding material). If a shooter wants to raise his POI by moving the comb higher, his eye must go along with it, and he must be willing to accept the resulting new sight picture, just as you said.

Common mistake: a shooter raises his comb higher to raise POI, but then he smashes his face harder onto the comb to re-obtain the same sight picture he was previously using, since that’s the sight picture he feels most comfortable with. The end POI result is zero POI change, because his Line of Sight is right back where it was before, despite the comb change. A lot of shooters make this mistake (and are often left wondering why their gun is suddenly abrading their cheek).

By the way, all of this was true in 1989, and remains true today.

As a couple of others have already answered . . . these days, you'll see guns equipped with adjustable combs AND ribs . . . and each manufacturer seems to have a slightly different theory for the rib adjustment mechanics. With all this adjustability, it is possible in many cases to raise (or lower) your POI and keep your preferred sight picture.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Tech Writer Jeff answered the question.

I'd try to contribute to the thread but I can't think of anything witty or sarcastic enough until I have another cup of coffee.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! AAA singles 27 yarder AA-AAA doubles average and your asking Questions.

WTF may want to start boiling the water in your area. Ya must be neighbors with the Doc.

Brady

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Jack, I didn't appreciate that potshot at Ohio. What if I claimed everyone from Wisconsin is an alcoholic ice fisherman and an unreasonable football fanatic?

Nevermind.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Forget about the POI stuff, you are a very good shot from those averages. I think you may be able to gain some improvement in your handicap scores by using brand new shells, the new ammo is so much better than the 1989 vintage, also get overbored barrels of 18.8mm, and for doubles, open the first barrel of the O/U to skeet 2, tuned for #8 shot size.

The information you'll find on this site will really help your game.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,965 Posts
No, definitely not Dan Bonillas. I suspect Dan is the guy that started the "What is a 3 hole target?" thread. I could be wrong, but it makes sense now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts