Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone raise there poi when you move back to the 27 yard line having some trouble with consistentcy thanks

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I knew a couple that did that after each event. Also saw another shooter adjust his rib.

I just leave it alone and adjust my shooting for different conditions. Sometimes takes a few shots if I guess wrong. I shoot with both eyes open so I do not loose site of the target if I have to shoot over it.

Jason

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Some do, but IMO, this is just one more thing that distracts you from what you really need to do which is be mentally prepared, practice sound fundamentals and have hard target focus on each and every target.

It's ALWAYS in a shooters best interest to eliminate as many distractions as possible.

Set up your gun so that it fits YOU and get the POI set up the way that you want it AND LEAVE IT ALONE!

This opinion was formed after 50 years of involvement in clay target sports of all kinds and has served me well.

I've come farther as a shooter than I ever thought I possibly could using this mindset.

Others will surely disagree, and to them, I wish them nothing but the best!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,240 Posts
Some do, some don’t.

As someone said above, better to set poi for handicap and then learn to shoot it for singles. This is what I did/do. No adjustable comb anymore, so I can’t mess with it.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I used to add spacers when shooting from the 23 and more when shooting from the 27. Sometimes I forgot to take them out for singles. Bad. My Doubles scores were crappy. It was hard shooting the second bird with a high shooting gun. So I kept lowering my POI until it was good for doubles. Doubles scores sky rocketed. Singles and handicap suffered a bit until I got used to it. I did, and now I'm in the same POI for everything camp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone I'm going to try putting washer or 2 in on 27 see what happens will give update on how it goes thanks again

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I would second Waverider's idea.

Have set many shooters POI with this method.

Adjust up until you have solid hits, and you will know where you need to be.

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
I'm trying to set up my mx2000 and am getting close.
I have been shooting with the rib in the lowest setting and breaking good singles scores but poor 27yd scores.
I have tried adding a washer with mixed results.
This morning I patterned at 4 yardages to plot the trajectory of my pattern and the results were interesting so I will post it .
35yds it was shooting 16"( way to high )
Moved the rib up one notch and it shot about the same 15" high
Removed a 1/8 " shim and now its 12" high which is where my other gun shoots.
So I shoot it to test trajectory.
30 yds 7" high
35 yds 12" high
40 yds 10" high
45yds 9" high
I shot practice and was able to hit everything front to back without adding a washer.
Phil kiner told me that he Leo and Ray all three added a washer for caps. I put alot of weight in Phil's statements and fully intend to keep trying to find the sweet spot.
Henry

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
How thick were the washers? Ive seen them thin to thick.
I think Phil said to try a range of 1/16 to 1/8 thick.
He spoke of finding a place to lock the gun to my face and grip the s-- t out of the stock with your trigger hand.
Henry

·
Registered
526 Posts
Does anyone raise there poi when you move back to the 27 yard line having some trouble with consistentcy thanks
You can make the case mathematically to raise your POI at the 27. If you assume adding 1/16” is about 2” at 40 yards, 1/8” is about 4” and that is the reason you miss a target then you would raise your POI. In my experience, missing a target from the 27 is not because my POI is to low, but rather a lack of concentration and focus on the target. I do increase cheek pressure at handicap yardages. The margin of error decreases significantly at the 27 and the fundamentals become a lot more important.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts