Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your Poi and your technique for singles.

My setup is 9 1/2"@ 40
I hold 1 to 2 feet above the house and watch the target come through the gun and try to sit tight until the target clears the gun and try to make a quick and controlled move shoot and follow through.
Henry

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
You a one eyed or two eyed shooter?
You shoot a pull or release?
Just wondering, thanks.

Never patterned my gun, set it up shooting straight aways from post 3 until I was smoking the target. I am what Pipe Layer calls an instinct shooter. I shoot both eyes with a release.
I did get a bore gauge and was disappointed on what my caps gun measured so I for sure am not going to pattern any.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts

My setup is 9 1/2"@ 40
I hold 1 to 2 feet above the house and watch the target come through the gun and try to sit tight until the target clears the gun and try to make a quick and controlled move shoot and follow through.
Henry
This is great advice and difficult for me to duplicate, especially the part about "...try to sit tight until the target clears the gun ..." - But, I'm working on it. Whenever I miss I can hear my friend, Tom, in the back saying, "What's your hurry?"

·
Registered
392 Posts

My setup is 9 1/2"@ 40
Henry
I'm still trying to figure this one out.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,757 Posts

My setup is 9 1/2"@ 40
Henry
I shoot singles with my O/U. Usually top barrel with .030 choke, 1 1/8oz 8’s, AA or STS only. My top single barrel is only for handicap.

My barrels shoot 15” high at 40 yards.

I hold ~2 ft over the House, but it depends on the height of the Trap house roof and weather conditions.

I hold steady until I know the exact target path. I hold steady until I get a solid lock on the “beak” of the target. I move the gun to that zone and pull the trigger. I try to always stare at that leading zone.

·
Registered
454 Posts

My setup is 9 1/2"@ 40
Henry
Right about the same for me just probably a little closer to 2 feet than the 1 foot .

·
Registered
288 Posts
lots of great advice, some different than others, this is how i was taught wrong or not it worked for me, first i go to a pattern board at 13 yards ( I use a rest for this the reason its hard to hold on a bulls eye with a heavy gun) I aim at the center of the bulls eye and adjust my rib so my gun is shooting 80/20. it is very hard to get most clubs to set the trap house to throw straight away birds but if you can thats great shoot from number 3 comb all the way down now watch your breaks raise your comb the thickness of a dime, than try it that way every 1/8th inch up is about 4 inches at 40 yards my comb is maybe slightly up from a quarter. it takes time but there is no guessing in future shooting if iam on the bird is powder. that is my way others might not agree. also stance I see shooters crunch over knees bent to me thats to many parts moving. I stand up right being right handed i face about 45 degrees to my right at every station. hold 1 to 2 feet above the house, slow your mind down you dont have to be in a hurry. I also keep both eyes open. when you yell pull i think a lot of people are are pulling there trigger before they are on the bird and that is understandable, a guy who post on here jim rainey a great shot he is the one who keep saying to me slow down slow down, a lot of shooters think because the others are shooting fast you should to wrong i paid the same price as you and i will shoot my way you shoot your way. and if you dont like it shoot with some one else JUST MY 2 CENTS

·
Registered
41 Posts
My setup is 15" high at 35yds ,hold top edge await till see the bird and move to it and shoot thru it
just keep trying to do what Ricky Marshall showed us
Working for me 96.5% avg

·
Registered
3,621 Posts

My setup is 9 1/2"@ 40
Henry
My setup is 6"@ 40
I hold 1 to 2 feet above the house and watch for the target above the gun. My peripheral does pick it up below the gun. Sit tight until the target clears the gun and try to make a smooth move and shoot. I must follow through but it is not a conscious act.LOL.

Its All good
West
AAA27AA

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
I’m considering using different 34” barrels for singles and handicap ... a flat shooter for singles and keep my 100% high POI for long yardage .. I cannot focus on the leading edge on singles or I’ll shoot over them.

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Post 5
5 is where I can get into trouble.
If my focal point favors the hard right I may let the extreme inside target surprise me and I go to fast and shoot down the side of it.
Solution
I have no fear of the angle getting away so I fix my eyes to see the inside.
You could say ( protect the inside)
Henry

·
Banned
789 Posts

My setup is 9 1/2"@ 40
Henry
Pretty much sums it up as to what is considered by a large percentage to be the "gold standard" in trapshooting.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
2 eyed shooter. But sometimes 1 eyed.
Sometimes hold 1' above the house, sometimes 3'.
Most of the time around 10" high at 27 yards.
But when I shoot the TM1, it only shoots about 6" @ 27
I call for the bird.....panic ensues almost immediately
I do figure 8s with my barrel in what some would describe as one of Joe Cockers famous on stage seizures and sometimes the guns even pointed up in the air after the shot.

Would not recommend.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts