Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new (to me) Perazzi courtesy of our good friend @JACK

Without telling an hour long story....

Shooting the below POI (3 shots 1oz 8s @ 30 yards)

Can't center a singles target, nothing but chips and chunks shooting 21s and 22s
As I move back 22, 24, 27, breaking maybe 18s and 20s but MUCH harder hits.
2 eyed shooter, holding slightly under level gun.
This is WAY higher POI than I've ever shot. I might lower slightly but I like the breaks at handicap so I don't want to change too much.

What do I change at these %+!#!?$ singles???

20200322_114520.jpg

·
Vendor
19,651 Posts
Obvious to me. Lower the rib and comb. Very few guys can go from a flat gun to a high shooter. It can be done, but do it in increments.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is my suggestion for your new gun setup; pick out a handicap yardage that you mostly shoot from, stand on post 3 with the trap locked on straight aways, shoot and adjust until you get ink balls!! Now that you have your caps setup, learn to shoot it at 16yds! Much better than changing comb heights between events! Handicap is a precision game, even the most minor mistakes will cost you ( especially from the 27), singles is much more forgiving.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So lower POI by 4"-6" and keep everything else the same?

Yes combo but I'm not even remotely close to thinking about shooting doubles yet.

And have no intentions of changing the gun setup between singles/caps.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It’s a good place to start, but once you get on the line and see how your breaks are is the true solution. Consistently smoking targets from yardage is what you’re looking for! The singles will come with practice!

·
Registered
592 Posts
If your comb cannot be lowered,maybe put an add on rib on once you figure out the height you need .I would shoot at least 10 rounds of trap before you do anything.You would be amazed what your eyes and brain can adjust too.Your pattern looks like my pattern(poi) from 45 ft. I have no problem hitting low or high targets with it. Good Luck.
Joe

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,666 Posts
Your pattern looks perfect to me. Harlan would call that a neutral pattern because the bottom edge of your pattern is just touching your point of aim. That’s how my O/U and Top single are set up....15” high. Any pellet below your point of aim is a wasted pellet..... that’s not where the target will be moving.

Keep practicing with that set-up. You don’t want a lot of momentum moving up into the target with a pattern set that way because you may blow through it..... as opposed to what was stated earlier, I’d hold a just a little bit higher and let the built in lead do the work for you; a smooth controlled move to the target.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

Yes combo but I'm not even remotely close to thinking about shooting doubles yet.

Singles must have a lower poi. It's just physics. How you get there varies by gun and shooter. Some just shoot lower, and may not realize that they do so. You can lower the comb about an 1/8th inch, adjust the rib, and sometimes you can raise the recoil pad if its adjustable.
What many good shooters is adjust the comb. Just remember the shot follows the comb, up, down, right, left.

·
Registered
157 Posts
First of all, what kind of Perazzi did you get? If the rib is adjustable, set the point of impact up the same as your last gun using the same sight picture (if your old gun shot shot to a certain poi looking flat along the rib, don't set the new one to that poi when you are seeing a lot of space between the beads) because getting used to a new gun, a new poi, and a new look can be challenging. Now adjust the poi incrementally until you are breaking the targets to your liking, with your desired sight picture, in both singles and handicap, and then go and check your poi. Don't just assume that by lowering (or raising) your poi by "X" amount that you will be in the middle of the targets.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You'll end up with one of three situations then: good singles setup/bad handicap setup, good handicap/bad singles setup, or just ok setups for both.
Possibly for a C or B class shooter such as myself...but I'm sure there are alot of very good shooters (A27A +) with non-adjustable guns that shoot good across the board. Or those that don't adjust their gun at all for that matter.

·
Registered
21,497 Posts
Incorrect, you move it the opposite that you want the POI to go. You move the comb the SAME way you want to POI to go.
Et bien c’est la vie. Hastily posted, often wrong.

Reactions: jk80 and Gussers
1 - 20 of 55 Posts