Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Like Industem said.
Focus 30 yards out would be perfect for me but how can you focus at a given distance when ?
1 Every trap is different.
2 Most have the background way way farther out than 30 yds in front of the house.
Is there an explanation of this in one of the trap instructional videos?
In other words ( how) can you focus at a given distance looking at a clear blue sky????
Henr
I have been struggling to understand this as well. Typically, I pick a height that I like to focus at above the house, then let my eyes settle into the background, whatever that distance may be. Probably not a great process as I am a C21C shooter.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,826 Posts
Like Industem said.
Focus 30 yards out would be perfect for me but how can you focus at a given distance when ?
1 Every trap is different.
2 Most have the background way way farther out than 30 yds in front of the house.
Is there an explanation of this in one of the trap instructional videos?
In other words ( how) can you focus at a given distance looking at a clear blue sky????
Henr
For me, my focus point is not high in the air or at the background. I soft focus towards the ground about 30-40 yards in front of the trap. Pick out a weed, stick, anything that puts my eyes in the middle of the area where the clay will come out in relation to what post I'm on. Unless the ground drops off directly in front of the house, you can watch targets on the traps you will be shooting (before you shoot) and where those look-see or missed targets are landing. I take about half that distance and pick a spot on the ground to focus on. The target turns clear rather quickly for me (I do not require any correction in my eyes). Again, this is what works for me, everyone is different. If you have not watched any of Kiner's video's, they are excellent! He does a great job of talking about all the focus and hold points.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What's your POI & technique for handicaps?
Mine is 9 1/2 "@ 40 yds 7 1/2 silver bullets with a .040 choke. My height of hold varies from on the back of the house to 1 to 2 feet above. I'm looking above the gun about where the streak turns into a whole target.
With the gun pulled in tight let my eyes focus and call. I get my eyes on the target and make a fast controlled move shoot and follow through.
How do you do it?
Henry
My hold points are the same. POI is about 10.5" @40 and 5.5 @30 with an unsingle. Any higher POI does give me easier brakes on straight aways but make the angles harder to centre.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Once you get some experience you should try to hold higher so you can see the target come up from below your barrel.
The more time you have eyes on the target the better you will be able to shoot it.
Agreed, Have started doing it this year and it helps, I think I saw this in a video some where ;););)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was told the fastest way to see how high your trap gun shoots , is to shoot a round of sporting clays and the rabbit will show you the way !
1/4 of a pattern might be just right , I think that advice was correct seeing scores shot in the wind ?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was told the fastest way to see how high your trap gun shoots , is to shoot a round of sporting clays and the rabbit will show you the way !
1/4 of a pattern might be just right , I think that advice was correct seeing scores shot in the wind ?
Not really
Shoot a pattern and measure in inches from the point of aim to the center of the pattern.
Then you can talk about how high your gun shoots in a meaningful way.
Henry

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
For what its worth Henry, I do the same as you. Every so often I'll shoot one a yard or two back from 27. When you get back on the 27 it seems to help improve the breaks I get. I think I get a bit lazy sometimes and start knocking the rear of targets. This drill helps.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Wow, that whole thing is like 7-1/2s vs. #8s . I have seen everything from 60/40 to 90/10. Most of the guns in the old days were probably 60/40 but ,that changed as time went on. I think Robinson and Gravestock were some of the ones who first began to experiment with high shooting guns. I know they used to "bend barrels" to get that result. There were some BT-99 high shooters that shot 80/20 out of the box . I think those were some of the first factory "high shooters".

·
Registered
178 Posts
Helpful to me......Waiting to shoot on your next trap, stand behind post 5 (behind the 27 in line with the walkway) & watch where the target breaks the roof's front corner on hard rights - either above, below or even.

Gives me a feel for my hold point height for the upcoming round. House heights & machine placements vary from club to club & field to field.

One eye w/tape

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Shooting DTL, which is like your 16 yard ATA trap, I don't use the term "focus point". Instead I have "hold points" and "look points". My "hold points" are some ways from my "look points". I'm never going to be looking at my beads because both my eyes are looking below and to the left of my barrels. I want to see the targets as early as possible so I'm going to be looking in an area (employing "quiet eye") over the front edge of the trap house where the majority of the targets will first appear on each station. I'm not overly bothered by the background the far side of the trap house and nor am I focusing on anything in particular. I'm looking for movement. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
I think a POI that allows you to break targets without having to cover them up and hope you do it consistently helps. It’s easy to just touch the bottom of the target and shoot regardless of the distance involved.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There are alot of shooters on here willing to share what they know.
I hope that I can figure out the best path foward.
Thanks to all . Henry

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Henry, I don't "focus" on anything prior to calling for the target. I believe it was Idustem that mentioned the term "soft focus". I look out over my barrel with soft focus. Once I determine the direction of the target I swing and then try to hard focus on the leading edge of the target. Even at my age, I pick up the target as a whole and complete object rather quickly, but I just don't get to it as quickly as I used to.:)
Good Luck, You'll get it figured out
Steve

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Only you can determine the best POI that works for you. During practice make small adjustments to see what fits and feels best. Same with hold heights and locations.

The high average 27 yarders shoot tournaments almost every week, so to stay on top of your game, you have to shoot lots of practice to stay precise and consistent, including soft targets, in the wind, different backgrounds etc, etc. Most of them have more registered handicap targets than my total target count!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Leo spoke about skipping the bead check in low light.He said that the eyes needed more time to readjust from looking at your beads and then suddenly looking at a target.
I can be rolling coal from the back and look at the beads to make sure thier lined up straight and then miss by 5 feet.
I think my gun fits pretty good so I'm going to try to mount while keeping my focus out where the target appears.
Henry

·
Super Moderator
3,037 Posts
Hard to relay Henry, when I shoot caps and I soft focus with the gun up, I wait a second or 2 and the focus becomes very clear in my focus area. Not like a tight binocular view, the whole soft focus area clears and then it's go time.
Seems like a long time but my squadmates say no, but I can definitely tell when it happens. If I get rolling and don't wait for that clear view bad things start happening.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not really
Shoot a pattern and measure in inches from the point of aim to the center of the pattern.
Then you can talk about how high your gun shoots in a meaningful way.
Henry
POI is only meaningful if it translates to X’s and O’s. A point estimate with a sample size of 3 has roughly a margin of error of +/- 10% so how meaningful is that? I prefer a gun that shoots high for trap. I like a more lively barrel and a flat shooting gun for live birds, skeet and sporting clays. I have done my share of pattern work but I always end up shooting targets to fine tune the POI. I always look at the quality of the breaks at the 16, 22 and 27. Do I know what my POI is? Not really - one gun shoots high, the others shoot flat - so maybe 70/30 or 80/20 and 60/40. What I do know is I can run 25 straight on any given day and on a good day 25 straight at the 27. Meaningful is relative not absolute. I am not trying to diminish the importance of POI but it is not really a precise number.

·
Registered
470 Posts
flyer47
Thanks for the graphics . 10% is close enough for me.
If I shoot 5 patterns and measure my poi and they range from 9 to 11 inches I can average them out and say with confidence that the gun prints about 10 " high.
Henry
HW,
I agree. I think some shooters get carried away trying to make something precise when it never will be precise. The only variable with no margin of error is absolute focus on the target.
Since your original question was POI at the 27 yard line, how do you know when you have the “optimal“ setting? In my case, I know when I mount the gun, the “feel” and cheek weld are right. I never do a bead check. I can break 15 or 16 in a row, then 1 miss one, then another one. The misses are not related to anything other than I lost focus on the target because there is very little margin of error on the 27.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts