Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your POI & technique for handicaps?
Mine is 9 1/2 "@ 40 yds 7 1/2 silver bullets with a .040 choke. My height of hold varies from on the back of the house to 1 to 2 feet above. I'm looking above the gun about where the streak turns into a whole target.
With the gun pulled in tight let my eyes focus and call. I get my eyes on the target and make a fast controlled move shoot and follow through.
How do you do it?
Henry

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I see you say your hold height varies. What criteria do you use to alter your hold height? I've been struggling with this lately. I just can't seem to come up with a good system for hold height.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trapshooter1100 ,the height where I see a whole target varies greatly depending on field conditions( light and target height)
I need to fix my eye hold where the streak has turned into a whole target.
My gun hold is down below my eyes so the barrel/ beads wont be a distraction.
Henry

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
I am set up for 100% high. Same set up for singles. Shoot a parallel to ground gun hold. Soft focus above bbl, firm gun mount, move to bird when in focus Just like singles.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
27 yd shooter, one eyed shooter, on posts 2/3/4 bead below front edge of trap house, on posts 1 & 5 hold on the back corner of trap house, at 40 yds center of pattern is 18" above aim point. low 90's average for caps. Gun, Kolar top single fixed rib, comb raised 7/16 ". Kolar LF choke. Shooting at +/- 5000 foot elevation at sea level would be using the full.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'll hold at the top of the house @ the 27 to avoid the possibility of the barrel blocking the target.At the 16 I'll hold about two feet high since the target is just a streak below that and quickly rises above the barrel.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
27 yd shooter, one eyed shooter, on posts 2/3/4 bead below front edge of trap house, on posts 1 & 5 hold on the back corner of trap house, at 40 yds center of pattern is 18" above aim point. low 90's average for caps. Gun, Kolar top single fixed rib, comb raised 7/16 ". Kolar LF choke.
There are several one and two eyed shooters that hold lower on one and five.
I think this keeps the angle targets from getting the jump on you.
Henry

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
24 yard, one eye shooter. I was set up at 9 inches high at 40 yards. I felt like I needed a little more height so I recently raised my comb 3/16ths. Haven't been back to the patterning board yet. My method is to hold down on the front edge of the house, sometimes the back edge. I call for the target, shoot at the target, and miss the target! I am trying practice my way out of that method!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll hold at the top of the house @ the 27 to avoid the possibility of the barrel blocking the target.At the 16 I'll hold about two feet high since the target is just a streak below that and quickly rises above the barrel.
This is about exactly what I do as well! I find that holding on the house gives you an unobstructed view of the targets leaving the trap house. Other options are faster FPS from the fence that what you use at 16s, and also raising your comb 1/8” for a 10% increase in POI to compensate for the distance. Everyone is different, sight and timing are different, you have to find the right formula that gives you the results you are satisfied with.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Two eyed shooter. K80 setup for 80/20. Set the gun up for handicap then learned how to shoot singles and doubles with it. 27yd holding 1/2 a foot inside the house and inside the edges for post 1 and 5. 1250 FPS shells 8’s. Looking past my beads for target to come out and then making aggressive but smooth vertical or diagonal swing to target.
Everyone is different. This works for me.
-Subjr

·
Registered
671 Posts
You have to shoot what works for you and not worry what works for other shooters. I have been shooting trap for 57 years and grew up shooting a almost flat shooting gun. I shot trap,skeet, and sporting and that worked for me and then when I moved to Canada I shot Bunker and Wobble trap a lot.
I tried shooting a 90/10 POI gun for a while and my ATA and League scores went down the tube. I have been shooting a 60/40 POI now for almost 35 years and all my guns shoot in the same place.
There is no chance that I will make the 27 yard line anymore as I don't shoot enough handicap. Yes, I have been know to break a 25 or 50 from 27 yards so 60/40 is fine for me.
Devonian.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking for a practice regiment that would build a stronger skill set for 27 yards.
I have been shooting at 30 yards and fully believe that it is making me better.
Only time will tell. Do any of you have any ideas on better ways to practice?
Henry

·
Registered
163 Posts
With a shooter understanding how high is beneficial to himself , is the part one should consider as , a 30"pattern at 40 yds is only shooting 15" high for a 100% pattern !
With the average 27 yd shooter breaking targets at 42 to 46 yds maybe something not so high shooting might be better ? How fast of a shooter are you , is the question ?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How fast?
Straight and quartering targets are rising and angles are beginning to or have flattened out when I shoot.
The 30 yd line may be helping me take the targets faster .
Henry

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,826 Posts
Ok Henry, you hooked me. LOL

27 yard, two eyed shooter, tend to shoot fairly fast with targets still rising. Perazzi MX10RS setup to shoot middle of pattern 15" high at 40 yards. The gun shoots right where I'm looking. My handicap hold points are: post 1 - front left corner, post 2 - just below front edge & 1/2 way between middle and left corner, post 3 - just below front edge & 6 inches to the right of center (right handed), post 4 - just below front edge & 1/2 way between middle and right corner, post 5 - 1 foot out and 1 foot up from right corner.

Focus points are about 30 yards in front of the trap. These may shift a bit due to background, amount of sunlight and wind. If I don't pay very close attention to my focus point, it tends to drift outwards. I can tell when that happens as the breaks start to get a little chippy and my swing starts to get too quick & jerky. This is what works for me and my eyes.

BTW Henry, you should start messing around with all the adjustments on your gun, just to give the rest of us a glimmer of hope. ;)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like Industem said.
Focus 30 yards out would be perfect for me but how can you focus at a given distance when ?
1 Every trap is different.
2 Most have the background way way farther out than 30 yds in front of the house.
Is there an explanation of this in one of the trap instructional videos?
In other words ( how) can you focus at a given distance looking at a clear blue sky????
Henr

·
Registered
381 Posts
A great practice regiment that I use is to shoot a box of shells from each post, during this course you will see about every target possible from each post. Don’t go in order 1-5, mix it up, 1-5-2-4-3! Shooting the 25 targets from the same post breaks up the rhythm of the typical round, and the 5 target grind! This forces you to concentrate on the targets. This program also allows you to isolate the problem targets and create a new outlook for those problem targets!

·
Registered
329 Posts
27 yards, one eyed shooter. I hold a high gun and shoot the target probably faster than average.

I haven’t patterned this gun and don’t intend to. Per Ljutic it’s an 80/20 gun and I see some space between beads so 100% maybe?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts